how do I get the wifi signal strength programmatically ?

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

how do I get the wifi signal strength programmatically ?

Postby yannick_sch » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:46 am

hi all,

I am developping an app that look at the wifi environment (all the AP, pc in adhoc) with the signal strength.

My app works fine on a dell axim x3i but not on the dell axim x30.

I develop in C++ using evc++4.

I use classique NDIS msg :
OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST and OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN.
the scan works fine but in the list I do not have the correct value of the signal.

I try ministumbler and it gives me the signal strength so I want to know if you can explain to me how do you do. It would be great if you can give me a clue to go.
thx a lot
Yannick S.
yannick_sch

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:26 am

yannick_sch wrote:hi all,

I am developping an app that look at the wifi environment (all the AP, pc in adhoc) with the signal strength.

My app works fine on a dell axim x3i but not on the dell axim x30.

I develop in C++ using evc++4.

I use classique NDIS msg :
OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST and OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN.
the scan works fine but in the list I do not have the correct value of the signal.

I try ministumbler and it gives me the signal strength so I want to know if you can explain to me how do you do. It would be great if you can give me a clue to go.
thx a lot
Yannick S.

Q: Can I see the NetStumbler source code? Is it open source? Etc...
A: NetStumbler is not open source. Indeed it contains a lot of code that was developed under Non-Disclosure Agreements, and the source cannot be released to the general public - if I do so then several teams of lawyers will show up on my doorstep.

MS did release some of the NDIS source, it doesn't work, but gives you an idea of how it does. Give the MS website a good search. If you can't find it there, it has been discussed here too. If you can't find it, just ask again and we will help you.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby yannick_sch » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:58 am

King_Ice_Flash wrote:Q: Can I see the NetStumbler source code? Is it open source? Etc...
A: NetStumbler is not open source. Indeed it contains a lot of code that was developed under Non-Disclosure Agreements, and the source cannot be released to the general public - if I do so then several teams of lawyers will show up on my doorstep.

no problemo, I've seen this part of the faq ]
MS did release some of the NDIS source, it doesn't work, but gives you an idea of how it does. Give the MS website a good search. If you can't find it there, it has been discussed here too. If you can't find it, just ask again and we will help you.[/QUOTE]

I know well the NDIS part of the MS website, I use NDIS OID in my own app.

king ice : thx for your reply ;)
yannick_sch

Postby RuSM » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:04 pm

Perhaps you could give this a try.
http://ramp.ucsd.edu/pawn/wrapi/
RuSM

Postby yannick_sch » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:22 pm

RuSM wrote:Perhaps you could give this a try.
http://ramp.ucsd.edu/pawn/wrapi/

I know that very well, that's what I use. But it seems that ministumbler don't use it.
yannick_sch

Return to Suggestions/Requests