How to use NetStumbler?

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

How to use NetStumbler?

Postby m0o » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:13 pm

Hey, anyone can tell me how to use NetStumbler? I don't really understand it and i'm newbie for it.
m0o
Mini Stumbler

Postby Mr.White » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:43 pm

Use of NetStumbler requires an end user license from The Church of WiFi. Click ENTER to obtain said license.
Mr.White

Re: How to use NetStumbler?

Postby -=heineken=- » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:56 pm

Originally posted by m0o
Hey, anyone can tell me how to use NetStumbler? I don't really understand it and i'm newbie for it.
Consider this a gift... http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1797

Make sure you followed Mr. White's above instructions before attempting to follow through with anything you read.
-=heineken=-

Postby blackwave » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:03 am

Originally posted by m0o

Do not use something you don't understand!
- Church of WiFi (http://www.ChurchofWiFi.com/)
Attachments
wifithecard-cowf-donotuse.jpg
wifithecard-cowf-donotuse.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby astcell » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:56 pm

Whatever you do, do not cross the streams!
astcell

Postby MarcusJClifford » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:07 am

Originally posted by astcell
Whatever you do, do not cross the streams!

At least until you cant think of anything else to do!
Orinoco Gold, Mobile Mark 5 DBi Mag Mount, Belkin WAP, 4x D-Link 1500 WAP / Bridges, 2x 24Dbi Parabolics, 1 12Db Omnidirectional.
MarcusJClifford

Postby mrfedora » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:58 pm

Blackwave, I agree with your sentiment about 'not using something that you don't understand', however, that would deny just about everything, including fire, to most of the planet.
rm -r /bin/laden
mrfedora
Mini Stumbler

Postby c0nv3r9 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:24 pm

Originally posted by m0o

Whatever you do, don't forget that you need a power source to supply the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to operate a decent directional
He shall recount his worthies: they shall stumble in their walk; they shall make haste to the wall thereof, and the defence shall be prepared.
-- Nahum 2:5, The Holy Bible, KJV
c0nv3r9

Postby kraix » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:51 am

Look m0o...the problem here is your attitude, it's very negative. I understand that you want to learn new things, and that's great (and shouldn't be frowned upon...by anyone), but the first thing you need to learn is how to do research.

When you post a message into a forum like this, full of people that are better than you, they will feel the need to rip you up for asking dumb (broad) questions. Especially ones that can be easily figured out on your own.

Let's take your question as an example, "how do i use netstumbler." I really don't think that your question could be more vague. No one will answer, becuase this is a "dumb" question.

Now before you ask this question, did you even try to figure it out, or even open the program? For the majority of programs out there, you can figure out the jist of them, just by messin around with them.

Did you bother to read any of the threads in this forum? It is possible that you are not the only one that has had this question, and most likely there's an answer.

Did you read any type of documentation?

Did you run a Google search on the program? I personally haven't, but it's my guess that theres a ton of newbie l337 war driving sites out there with walk-throughs, tutorials, and other such things.

If you have done these things, and you're still stumped, then go ahead and ask a question, but make sure that you point out that you have done research...people will be more likely to help.

So now that you know this, lets say you did all this, and you still haven't found an answer to your problem...here's how you should re-word your question:

"I have a problem that I am unable to find an answer for and would appreciate any help that I could receive. I have run many Google searches, scanned through as much of this forum as possible, and messed with the program trying to figure out a solution with no avail. My problem is that [ problem goes here ]. Thank you in advance for your help! - YourName"

Now that you are armed with the tools to solve your problem, there's nothing holding you back. I can also guarantee that you will find your answer before you even have to post. But for future reference on more intricate and detailed questions...it will come in handy.

Piece.

. Kraix .
kraix
Mini Stumbler

Postby peekitty » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:00 am

C'mon Kraix, this thread has been dead for ages and m0o has probably moved on to troll elsewhere:) I'd hate to see good advice wasted on someone who has already buggered off...
peekitty

Postby kraix » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:53 am

hahah...whoops. ah well, guess i deserve the moron status for not checkin that out .
kraix
Mini Stumbler

Postby phighgate » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:33 pm

As somewhat of a newbie to stumbling myself, I have prepared the following tutorial for the proper method one should use before asking a question in a forum.

1. Have a good understanding of the innerworkings of your opperating system. You should understand how to add and remove programs and hardware. You should know how the OS communicates with various hardware devices and what different sorts of interfaces are available. You should use and become comfortable with several different software programs to gain an understanding of how software generally works, so you can intuitivly pick up a new package like netstumbler and quickly find your way around the interface -- It's not all that different from most other programs! Aprox. time needed - ~4 years.

2. Learn how to use the forums. Read everything. Your question has probably been asked and answered before, but not in the exact way you have asked it. It may be archived. It may be embeded deep withen a thread. To remove all doubt, go over every thread that even remotely looks like it it is on the subject of your query. Do searches on keywords. Keep at it. Aprox. time needed - ~3 months.

3. Use the Internet. Search google. Find other websites devoted to the hobby. Scour newgroups. Join mailing lists. Find other newbies who are in the same boat. Arox. time needed - ~ 4 months.

If all of this fails, you should be ready to ask your question somewhere around September of 2007.

:)
phighgate
Mini Stumbler

Postby peekitty » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:31 pm

Maybe a bit extreme Phighgate, but if everone read Eric S. Raymond's "asking smart questions", the world would be a better place... (actually can't find the original, it looks like this one has been modified somewhat, but the spirit is the same.)
peekitty

Postby pwaring » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:28 pm

Originally posted by peekitty
Maybe a bit extreme Phighgate, but if everone read Eric S. Raymond's "asking smart questions", the world would be a better place... (actually can't find the original, it looks like this one has been modified somewhat, but the spirit is the same.)

All links to ESR's site send you to a random Open Source type site as far as I can see (e.g. Linux.com).

My copy isn't a "modified" version of the original, I just used ESR's as inspiration - mainly how to structure the document rather than have just one huge list of paragraphs.
pwaring
Mini Stumbler

Return to Suggestions/Requests