Keyword Hyperlinking.

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Keyword Hyperlinking.

Postby streaker69 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:25 pm

Here's an interesting thought for the forum. How about Keyword Hyperlinking. For example when you post something the system could scan your post looking for certain keywords as defined by the administration. It could then automatically hyperlink it.

Like when someone mentions Wigle, or the Welcome Desk, or CoWF. It might save time for some of the links that we repeatedly add in some posts.

An additional thought along these lines. Each user could have a list of keywords/URL's that they could enter into the system, as well as a master list from the administration.

Just seems like a neat idea that I haven't seen on any other forum.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby dakkon2k » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:15 pm

I've seen it on other forums, it's often used to link keywords to sponsered sites for revenue generation. eg " I like red Jelly Beans" it would link "Jelly Beans" to some predetermined site. Pretty neat stuff I agree, would be very useful and could be very entraining if set up so ;)
Unable to apply patch, Please install M$ Outlook to continue. :confused:
A journey of a thousand posts begins with How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dakkon2k

Location: Quite a bit EAST & a smidgen south of the world famous Rat. 2 miles from the beach or 1/2 a mile

Postby G8tK33per » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:16 pm

[quote="dakkon2k"]I've seen it on other forums, it's often used to link keywords to sponsered sites for revenue generation. eg " I like red Jelly Beans" it would link "Jelly Beans" to some predetermined site. Pretty neat stuff I agree, would be very useful and could be very entraining if set up so ]
Even sponsored sites?

:D
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby streaker69 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:17 pm

[quote="dakkon2k"]I've seen it on other forums, it's often used to link keywords to sponsered sites for revenue generation. eg " I like red Jelly Beans" it would link "Jelly Beans" to some predetermined site. Pretty neat stuff I agree, would be very useful and could be very entraining if set up so ]

I was thinking it could be useful here for when someone hasn't read the 'antenna faq', the system could autolink to that FAQ, so we don't have to look up which one it is, or keep a list of links on the side for quick pasting. Could greatly improve the effeciency of the forum.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Here's a site that does it.

http://i-hacked.com/
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby dakkon2k » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:26 am

A spell checker would be nice too :D
But i'd be happy with the keyword linking technology.
Wonder if there is some software out there that would force the First time registered user to prove they've read the Welcome Desk and know how to use google?
eg after clicking sign up and as soon as they click post in the newbie forum they get a mandatory 5 question quiz.
Unable to apply patch, Please install M$ Outlook to continue. :confused:
A journey of a thousand posts begins with How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dakkon2k

Location: Quite a bit EAST & a smidgen south of the world famous Rat. 2 miles from the beach or 1/2 a mile

Postby beakmyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:37 am

Man, we could make "Jerry's Kids" tons of money in the newbie lounge.*

* Cut me some slack I got up a 3:30 to go to Wallyworld for car dvd player then Sears for VCR.
beakmyn

Postby Airstreamer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:10 am

beakmyn wrote:Man, we could make "Jerry's Kids" tons of money in the newbie lounge.*

* Cut me some slack I got up a 3:30 to go to Wallyworld for car dvd player then Sears for VCR.

Hope you avoided the brawl at the Wally World in Philly...
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby streaker69 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:57 am

dakkon2k wrote:A spell checker would be nice too :D
But i'd be happy with the keyword linking technology.
Wonder if there is some software out there that would force the First time registered user to prove they've read the Welcome Desk and know how to use google?
eg after clicking sign up and as soon as they click post in the newbie forum they get a mandatory 5 question quiz.

I don't think we need a spell checker, that would just spoil some of the fun. Besides it leads to a slippery slope. What's next, Grammar checker, punctuation checker?

I do think an intelligence checker would be good though.
streaker69

Postby beakmyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:02 am

streaker69 wrote:8<

I do think an intelligence checker would be good though.

I don't the government would be too happy if we used their supercomputer for that.

@airstreamer
I was out of the store (not philly) by 5:06am
beakmyn

Return to Suggestions/Requests