Mac OSX

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Mac OSX

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:45 am

Any chance of porting this software to Macintosh OSX? *duck*

OS X

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:26 am

Smile, when you say that stranger! Them thars fightin' words around these parts.

Seriously, I know little about MACs and nothing to speak of about OS X, but I heard yesterday on TechTV that OS X uses some Unix elements. Could you port dstumbler? I think the source is published. By "you" I mean you or a friend with OS X programming experience.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Thorn

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:13 pm

i think befor we wast time on macs "the way i see it is that they are all helpless and i dont think that we need that on this form" we would get a prism card to work

ps i goto a art school and because i have some computer knowage i spend my time helping poeople with there dumb mac questions... also most of them dont even know that 802.11b card in there computer let alone that the whole school has wifi accese in all of the buildings everywere. this is my mac rant and if you like macs well im sorry but go play with your "i" whatvers

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:15 pm

Of course, any Mac user who purposely got to this site for information is deserving of honest and helpful answers. I'm sure there are plenty of people using a G4 Titanium PowerBook with an Airport card that would love to have the same "sniffing" capability as the Wintel users on this site. Hopefully there is someone out there that can port the program to OS X.

Thanks,
Ken

MacOSX port

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:50 am

MacOSX is essentially BSD running on top of a Mach Microkernel. You can download and install Apache/OpenSSH/etc. The main issues for a port would be:

MacOSX oddities

Hardware issues (potentially some, potentially none, remember MacOSX comes with software/driver support for wireless as a client and as a basestation).

It may be a very easy port (here's hoping) it may not be. Pro's to a MacOSX port: basically all new Mac kit comes with wireless capability, i.e. my G4 has a PCMCIA slot and a wireless antenna built into the case, ditto for my iBook, which makes these platforms desirable for sniffing (they are built with wireless in mind). You'd be surprised how many of us network security types own macs (they run MacOSX, Linux, OpenBSD, have usb and firewire, great 100meg ethernet builtin, real modems and no-one bothers to write shell code for them typically =).

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:59 pm

QBus, you'd do well to first attend a few remedial English courses before trying to mess with higher-level courses in that art school you attend.

You'd also better learn to get your bitch ass VERY accustomed to Macs, because that's the STANDARD in any commercial art/design/print related field. Continue with this bullshit bias of yours, and you'll very quickly find those Mac users you so dislike avoiding you at all costs (if they haven't begun to already).

Another thing: We Mac users were playing with wireless before you, dickhead. We've had integrated antennae for a few years now, and Apple's introduction of AirPort, while not the first wireless solution, was the kick in the ass that wireless needed to really get 802.11b recognized, noticed, and mainstreamed. To this day, in most cases, you WinTel losers have to walk around with an ugly, corny-ass antenna sticking out of the side of your craptops, because you don't have the elegance of having the antenna integrated into the very casing of the machine, like we do.

So, seeing as how we've got the natural advantage and, in a very real sense, the "first to implement" honors, it's all the more INSULTING that Windows losers are playing with NetStumbler software and not us.

Anyway, your post is half indecipherable, because you clearly have an extremely poor ability to write proper English. You do your "cause" (if you have any) a great disservice any time you speak, forcing those words out through your larvae-infested, diseased, and wholly illiterate mouth.

Fucking cunt. You deserve to suffer through Windows hell. Stick with your bullshit. Enjoy your BSODs, and giggle as your crapware OS constantly phones home to report your every move to Daddy Gates. You don't deserve any better anyway.

Moving on . . .

Thorn: OS X has more than UNIX elements; it IS a UNIX, based on FreeBSD. So any UNIX-based NetStumbler client should be a no-brainer to recompile on OS X for anyone with basic programming knowledge. I, however, have none whatsoever, which is why I haven't done it. :-)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:55 am

im so hurt ouch... but im happy to see you have time to wright such a large flame

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:55 pm

Webmaster-MES,
Thanks for the clarification on X. But if that is true, what is the point of using a Mac? Why not just get a BSD machine, and install the giu of choice?

Disclaimer: I've never understood the strident PC/MS/MAC/*NIX wars on __ANY_ side. Ti my way of thinking it is all vanity. And stupid. Hardware is hardware, and software is software. Not a big deal to me. But I also started dealing with computers in the early 1970's. I've seen all sorts of hardware, software and OSs come and go.

Now here's a REAL hardware argument: Ford vs. Chevy.
(Hint: I have 3 Fords!)

Cheers,
Thorn

Why

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:01 am

...are people so hostile and threatened by Mac users? Get over it. We're all here for the same reason, who gives a piss in a bucket over your platform? Everyone has something to contribute, it's the quality of the information, not the computer that did the gathering.

So. The hurdle of hardware is being cleared on MacOS with the release of ioxperts.com beta of their Universal WiFi drivers. Currently only for Classic, but I'm sure that an OS X version is in the works after the beta shakedown. I'm using them with a LinkSys card and no problems at all.

A Java port might be usefull, that would remove the platform issue. Of course, pooling efforts with the Linux crowd might yield fruit that would benefit both camps.

Just my 2¢.

-KidE

OS X

Postby dilznik » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:34 am

I knew a girl who went to art school. She couldn't spell. She couldn't draw either. These days she's dressed like Shamoo at Sea World in San Diego. Anyway...
It shouldn't be too difficult to port some of this stuff over to OS X. It's the Darwin version of FreeBSD and the airport cards are the Wavelan/Lucent/Agere cards with the Hermes chipset and no built in antenna since the jack was moved back to the card itself. The question is, what BSD programs work with the Lucent cards and who knows how to port the program over?
AP Scanner was written for OS9 just using Apple Script and RealBasic. I'd love to get a copy of the guy's source code and rewrite it for OS X, but a) he doesn't have an e-mail address I can find, and b) I would probably screw it all up anyway. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. AP Scanner doesn't work on my ibook with the Airport 2.0 software. And booting classic just blows.

PS: Ford? Chevy? Everyone knows the greatest car ever made was the Dodge Charger R/T. With the opening headlight enclosure.
dilznik
Mini Stumbler

'69 Chargers Rule! Oh, and mac stuff too.

Postby ZipperSeven » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:07 am

Listen, pplz, there are other forums out there for those who want to duke it out with Wintel boxes vs. Mac boxes. Thorn has it right. In the end we're all 'stumblers so who gives a $hit about whether we the logo is a window, an apple, or a penguin. Anybody with enough programming talent should be able to port NS over to macs, just give it some time.
...from slashdot:

Go over to the NetStumbler Forums if you want to see a prime example of moderators who simply do not take ANY shit from ANYone.
ZipperSeven

Postby bobj » Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:25 am

This is a pretty cool new program, and the first one of its kind that is made for OSX

check it out:http://www.mxinternet.net/~markw/

I haven't gotten a chance to use it outside my network but it saw my wireless setup, pretty basic but a good start
bobj
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:14 am

that program looks like it's gathering IP information. i think that one thing that is nice about NS, and makes it quicker, is that it's not gathering network information, rather just the 802.11b specific info. that way it's not waiting for dhcp info to come back, which can actually keep your presence on the network invisible too, if you do it right... with all the dev tools that come with osX i would think that it wouldn't be hard to make something like NS for mac, though i haven't looked into the wifi section of the dev tools...
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby badpack3t » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:50 am

Why dont you try dstumbler? MacOSX is build on bsd.
badpack3t
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:52 pm

even though mac osx is built on bsd there are so many differences that sometimes it takes serious effort to port things. things like no /proc dir and other misc differences, on top of the fact that they have their own GUI that's not X compatible are some of the obstacles... i still haven't gotten a real chance to look into the wireless tools for mac too in depth though, but i have gotten xfree86 to run on top of aqua... a bit cumbersom to switch between programs running in two different GUI's, but it works... anyhow, i'll have to look into dstumbler and see what the story is. bleh, not enough time...
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Suggestions/Requests