Recording HotSpot coverage from user's antennas?

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Recording HotSpot coverage from user's antennas?

Postby sidewayzen » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:27 am

I run a hotspot and I have gone out with NetStumbler to record the coverage at different areas of the park. The idea is to create a coverage map.

It occurs to me it'd be nice if I could use the routine user's NetStumbler to get my data.

My request would be some type of feedback system where NetStumbler transmitted back to my computer the Signal/Noise Statistics for each user.

Rob
sidewayzen
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:41 am

sidewayzen wrote:I run a hotspot and I have gone out with NetStumbler to record the coverage at different areas of the park. The idea is to create a coverage map.

It occurs to me it'd be nice if I could use the routine user's NetStumbler to get my data.

My request would be some type of feedback system where NetStumbler transmitted back to my computer the Signal/Noise Statistics for each user.

Rob

Since NS does not connect (associate) to an AP or network it would be tough for it to send any data. If it was possible how would NS know which APs / HotSpots to send this data to? This also leaves the door open for connection to an AP that one does not have permission to connect to. Bottom line is it gets real ugly real quick.
wrzwaldo

Postby Apollyon » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:48 pm

Not to mention the fact that running NS on a client and utilizing the client for network access at the same time do not go together happily. And your patrons would have to have GPS's.

Apollyon
Apollyon

Postby Starpoint » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:53 am

sidewayzen wrote:I run a hotspot and I have gone out with NetStumbler to record the coverage at different areas of the park. The idea is to create a coverage map.

Rob

Probably what you would need to do is go out to the park and walk around
with NS and some surveyors stakes and sorta mark off an area where the signal is strong enough to get online with. You would need to test that as well.. aka get online. now whether you can leave your stakes in the park or even put up signs that say "Wifi hot zone" is up to your local park authorities... but from a personal standpoint if you know that a certain area of the park is wifi from your WAP... then it becomes a personal hotspot away from the home. you do not need the park's permission to sit at a picnic bench and play online using your own WAP that is across the street in your house.
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

ClientStumbler...?

Postby sidewayzen » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:16 pm

I'm not sure I understand...here's a similar idea. Would this work?
----
I want to show users who connect to my wifi network the strength of their connection. Sure, I could just give them a link to NetStumbler and tell them to download the client, but I’m wondering…

If I have NetStumbler running on a machine that’s acting as an access point, is it possible for me to get the signal information about each client? Instead of stumbling on the network, the network is stumbling on those clients around it.

Is this possible?

1. Do clients without NetStumbler send out a signal that an access point can theoretically measure?
2. Does NetStumbler currently have the ability to display those measurements?

---

Or is there a tool out there already that does much the same thing?

Thanks,

Rob
sidewayzen
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:01 pm

sidewayzen wrote:I'm not sure I understand...here's a similar idea. Would this work?
----
I want to show users who connect to my wifi network the strength of their connection. Sure, I could just give them a link to NetStumbler and tell them to download the client, but I’m wondering…

If I have NetStumbler running on a machine that’s acting as an access point, is it possible for me to get the signal information about each client? Instead of stumbling on the network, the network is stumbling on those clients around it.

Is this possible?

1. Do clients without NetStumbler send out a signal that an access point can theoretically measure?
2. Does NetStumbler currently have the ability to display those measurements?

---

Or is there a tool out there already that does much the same thing?

Thanks,

Rob

1. Yes. Obviously, the clients are transmitting back. The real question is can you access that information in the AP? In 90% of the APs I know of you cannot do this.

You could write custom firmware for a AP like the Linksys WRT54G. However, you would still need to know where the client is located, or the information is useless.

2. No.

No other tools that do this as far as I know.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby sidewayzen » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:46 am

How about a Soekris 4501 running either

M0n0wall (a FreeBSD firewall) -- http://www.m0n0.ch/wall
Pebble (a Debian distro) -- http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble/

Is there any open-source tool that picks up on these packets? Thanks!

Rob
sidewayzen
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:55 am

You are really moving away from the intent of this forum.

NetStumbler Community > Suggestions/Requests >

As for the software in the links you provided. You should try the following.

http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/gettinghelp.php

http://www.nycwireless.net/nycw_contact.html
wrzwaldo

Postby Metaboe » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:46 pm

Metaboe
Mini Stumbler

Return to Suggestions/Requests