Request: Channel support for 12-14ch

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Request: Channel support for 12-14ch

Postby tyamadajp » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi.

I've been using NetStumbler for months, and it's a great piece of software!

However, since it seems not to support channel in 12-14ch range, I could not make use of these channels very well - it's like programming without debugger, if you cannot see it, you have no way to deploy it reliably.

Would it be possible to make NetStumber support 12-14ch range?

These channels are used in European/Asian countries, and it's worth adding support for it because channel 14 is a "clean" channel that does not have frequency overlap with other known "clean" channels (1, 6, and 11).

Best Regards,
tyamadajp
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:10 pm

If I recall, NS does support detecting those channels. But since if you're in the US there shouldn't be any devices on those channels so you shouldn't be detecting any. If you do, it's probably an illegal one.

Our stumblin' bretheren overseas I'm sure have detected them on those channels.

This is probably covered in the readme.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Thorn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:30 pm

NS does support Channels 12-14, as well as the 802.11a channels. It is dependant on the card(s) used, not the application. (By the way, it's not covered in the README.)

In order to see those channels, you need a card capable of receiving and transmitting on those channels (i.e. FCC, ETSI, Japan, France, etc. Whatever the radio authority is for a given country.)
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:31 pm

Honestly, I never read the readme. Never had to, because I did all my research before I bought my card so I didn't have to read up on anything.

I only read stuff like that when I have a problem and BEFORE I ask a question.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby AcerKev » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:52 am

Mines currently detecting an Access Point on channel 13 (ETSI), so NS defiantly does support it.
AcerKev
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:56 am

AcerKev wrote:Mines currently detecting an Access Point on channel 13 (ETSI), so NS defiantly does support it.

Not so mauch as NS supports it but that the HARDWARE supports it. See post #3 (in case you missed it).
wrzwaldo

Return to Suggestions/Requests