Selectable columns for reports

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Selectable columns for reports

Postby bwsaloum » Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:12 pm

I would like to be able to choose which colums are present when doing an export
bwsaloum
Mini Stumbler

Postby acidrayne » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:35 am

I think this would be a good idea too. There are some things that I need and others that I don't.
Rayne
acidrayne

Postby Osurac » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:06 pm

I also Agree, I would like to do an export & be able to show on my Map Point Map, which AP's have WAP & which are open.

I can see many other possible uses, having the data pre massaged would save so much time in many areas.
Osurac
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:37 pm

guys, i don't think it's a good use of marius's precious time
the stuff is all tab-delimited. it's pretty easy to just parse out the fields you want. if you don't know C, perl or a unix shell script could do it lickety split.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby Osurac » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:58 pm

Linkomatic, you are right that there are more important things to work on. That doesn't mean we can't dream thoug does it?

I have played with the tab delimited output & it's not perfect. Basicly, there is very little documentation about what the fields are, etc. Many can be guessed, but what field indicates WEP encryption? Also, the data I imported included W's & E's in the lat/longitude fields, which I will have to strip out.

So, basicly, my point is that the data as it is, needs work to be useable in map point. We are not the first to think of this, I found a link to a nice piece of software, it is an addin for map point & does lots of nice work on the data. I may pay the $20 to get it running.

Here's the link http://www.engo.com/mappointtoolbox/

One last thought, what do people think of a non free version of NS? I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable price for the software, if that would help in the development.

Nuff Said
Osurac
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:41 pm

it's just that there are so many k00l things that people want from NS like support for prism, 801.11a, finding cloaked networks, etc...all things that 3rd parties can't do. but something like parsing the output and reformatting it is something a 3rd party could do, so isn't it better if someone else does that so marius and work on the nifty keen new features instead?

if you want to use map point you can also use mother's freebie:

http://www.sonar-security.com/

i know he's working on a major upgrade soon.

p.s. sorry about the run-on sentence. my hs english teacher would have a fit, but i'm too lazy to go back and edit it.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Return to Suggestions/Requests