Stumbling for a particular SSID ?

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Stumbling for a particular SSID ?

Postby kestone » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:29 pm

I have a whole campus full of AP's that disable
broadcast ssid and implement a consistant site
ssid .... I use netstumbler now to search for
rogue AP's (along with kismet) ...

Is there any way to have netstumbler take my site
ssid and search for AP's that match ? It would be
great to be able to look at overlapping coverage
areas and general site survey stuff ...
kestone
Mini Stumbler

Re: Stumbling for a particular SSID ?

Postby blackwave » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:05 pm

Originally posted by kestone
Is there any way to have netstumbler take my site
ssid and search for AP's that match ? It would be
great to be able to look at overlapping coverage
areas and general site survey stuff ...

Are you looking for some type of filter, or a database? Otherwise your client manger should stay connected and only connect to the SSID you state you want to associate with, only when it is blank or *any* will it just autoconfigure and link to the strongest AP signal.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby mentat » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:15 pm

I believe what he's trying to get at is that he wants to use NetStumbler to do site survey work, except sending out blank SSIDs isn't going to work because the APs are set not to response to blank SSIDs. So, he want to be able to set NetStumbler to use a specific SSID instead of a blank SSID to probe and record network signal strength for his network. Given, this could be done with Client Manager, but then that doesn't have GPS.
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby hratch » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:29 pm

this is a long way around this, but if you filter out the non-wanted MAC addy's, you could filter them out of the gpsmap with kismet. filter out the ones you want, keep the ones you need, and plot their network radius out. you have probably thought of this, though.
hratch

Postby mentat » Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:54 pm

Originally posted by hratch
this is a long way around this, but if you filter out the non-wanted MAC addy's, you could filter them out of the gpsmap with kismet. filter out the ones you want, keep the ones you need, and plot their network radius out. you have probably thought of this, though.

Actually I hadn't thought of that, but that is a good solution, especially using the hull option with a high transparency. Or scatter plot.
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby sykojester » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:49 pm

i'm not sure exactly how this works, but i'll take a stab at it...
does netstumbler use the SSID set in your profile by the client manager? if it does... just set the desired ssid, fire up stumbler and be done... if netstumbler only sends out blank/any ssids & ignores yer client managers settings.. well, then i'm just rambling :)... just my 2cents
I was at this place one time & I was like...Wow.
sykojester

Return to Suggestions/Requests