Can see distant AP w/ Stumbler/Win but not Kismet/Linux

Can see distant AP w/ Stumbler/Win but not Kismet/Linux

Postby Tospeck » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 am

Could my Belkin 54g PCI rt2500 chipset not be performing as well under Linux as it is in Windows? The sensitivity at least? In windows I see an AP in Stumbler. I also see it in the Windows wireless zero configuration utility with one bar, and very occasionally two.

If I then reboot with a live CD like Knoppix or Backtrack2 in the drive, I can't see it. The rt2500 card is working in Linux because if I plug in some of my own APs around the house they pop up in Kismet right away. I can connect to them fine too.

Kinda related: I have actually seen this foreign AP before in Linux. I have only been messing with Linux for a week and I wasnt really looking for the AP, but I do remember seeing it there at some point for at least a couple of days. Then I happened to be in Kismet the other night and just saw it drop off the screen. Literally 30 seconds later the sky opened up and it poured down and the weather has been different ever since. Not raining, but colder. It was clear, warm, sunny before. How badly can atmospheric conditions affect picking up a signal like that? Particularly if it was low in the first place?

Even if it can affect it (I know water absorbs 2.4Ghz), this still doesnt explain the main query as to why I can still see this thing in Windows! Id just like to know whats going on. (I dont know if the signal is lower in Windows now since the weather change because I was never interested enough to look at the signal before it disappeared in Linux.)

Thanks for any information.
Tospeck
Mini Stumbler

Postby Scruge » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:14 pm

I've seen this happen myself with several distant APs. Kismet doesn't ever detect them yet NS does within a few minutes.

My WAG is that the APs are in a low power stat and don't go to full power unless polled.
Scruge

Postby renderman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:27 pm

I have seen this behavior myself and I came to a similar conclusion as scrudge. Things like dew points, humidity and temperature can really do weird things.
renderman

Return to Unix/Linux