Help with packet injection

Help with packet injection

Postby bullet_hole » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:13 pm

I admit I am new to this I have 2 laptops, 2 wireless cards, and 2 "Auditor Disks". I realize theres quite a few questions in here jumbled into one.

My Cards are an orinoco card and a D link dwl-650

Now my good laptop and orinoco card running airsnort, but its been going for weeks and I've only gotten about 480 interesting packets so far.

So I went and studied up on which cards are prism2 based, and bought the dwl-650 with the triangle shaped antenna, just so I could use my second laptop to hopefully inject
packets since I heard that you cannot inject packets with the orinoco cards (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm stuck right now because I couldn't really figure out how to use any of the packet injection programs in auditor. I viewed the tutorial at http://www.crimemachine.com/Tuts/Flash/wepcracking.html
and tried doing it on my other laptop with the DLink card, but nothing seems to work the same as in the tutorial.

When I begin with the command "ifconfig eth0 up" I get a message that says no such device. same with typing eth1

So on a whim I try "ifconfig wlan0 up" thinking my device might be wlan0 (not sure if it is). and although I'm not sure if it did anything, it didn't give an error message.

so when I go on and try "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" I get an error message, set failed operation not supported. I don't get it, this should be a prism2 card (unsure if theres any way to check), I don't know why it won't allow monitor mode.

And that's pretty much where I'm stuck at.

To make a long story short I would appreciate any feedback on what I'm doing wrong, or if theres any other tutorials out there that are good, or even just some easier way for me to inject packets.
bullet_hole

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:09 pm

bullet_hole wrote:I admit I am new to this I have 2 laptops, 2 wireless cards, and 2 "Auditor Disks". I realize theres quite a few questions in here jumbled into one.

My Cards are an orinoco card and a D link dwl-650

Now my good laptop and orinoco card running airsnort, but its been going for weeks and I've only gotten about 480 interesting packets so far.

So I went and studied up on which cards are prism2 based, and bought the dwl-650 with the triangle shaped antenna, just so I could use my second laptop to hopefully inject
packets since I heard that you cannot inject packets with the orinoco cards (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm stuck right now because I couldn't really figure out how to use any of the packet injection programs in auditor. I viewed the tutorial at http://www.crimemachine.com/Tuts/Flash/wepcracking.html
and tried doing it on my other laptop with the DLink card, but nothing seems to work the same as in the tutorial.

When I begin with the command "ifconfig eth0 up" I get a message that says no such device. same with typing eth1

So on a whim I try "ifconfig wlan0 up" thinking my device might be wlan0 (not sure if it is). and although I'm not sure if it did anything, it didn't give an error message.

so when I go on and try "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" I get an error message, set failed operation not supported. I don't get it, this should be a prism2 card (unsure if theres any way to check), I don't know why it won't allow monitor mode.

And that's pretty much where I'm stuck at.

To make a long story short I would appreciate any feedback on what I'm doing wrong, or if theres any other tutorials out there that are good, or even just some easier way for me to inject packets.

/check forum name.

Yep, still says Netstumbler.org.

Doesn't say Wepcrackz R us.

Care to explain exactly how this pertains to this forum?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby bullet_hole » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Well, it says its A "WiFi Forum" so I think it pertains to WiFi. If someone tells me a better forum I'd post it there instead.
bullet_hole

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:52 pm

bullet_hole wrote:Well, it says its A "WiFi Forum" so I think it pertains to WiFi. If someone tells me a better forum I'd post it there instead.

You too wrote:I'm stuck right now because I couldn't really figure out how to use any of the packet injection programs in auditor

http://www.google.com/search?q=using+auditor+to+crack+wep

Yes, You Again wrote:so when I go on and try "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" I get an error message, set failed operation not supported. I don't get it, this should be a prism2 card (unsure if theres any way to check), I don't know why it won't allow monitor mode.

What driver are you trying to use for "monitor mode"? hostap or wlan-ng?

There are plenty of ways to verify what chipset a card is if you search (had you of spent any time in the "welcome desk" you would have known that)! Which DWL-650 do you have?

KA2-DWL-650PLUSB1 = TI

KA2-DWLG650B5 and most others I know of are Atheros.

I see there are a couple of DWL-650 versions with Prism (and one of them is Prism 3). Once you figure out which card you have you may figure out why it is not working.
wrzwaldo

Return to Unix/Linux