Kismet questions (Split from : Just in Time for Christmas 2006 version 2.0^2)

Postby Beard » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am

Dutch wrote:Yea, yea, just rub it in.. Nobody likes a wiseass you know...

:D
BTW, how's the Kismet rig working out ?

Dutch

It's going great, I've moved from 127 to 45 overall. :D I do have a couple of questions now.
1- Which file/log is it you recommend replacing after ~10k entries, can't find it through a search.
2- Have you had an AP cause Flite to say an extremely long number at the end, maybe 40 or better? The only thing I found that may be it is a probe.
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby Dutch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm

Beard wrote:It's going great, I've moved from 127 to 45 overall. :D I do have a couple of questions now.
1- Which file/log is it you recommend replacing after ~10k entries, can't find it through a search.
2- Have you had an AP cause Flite to say an extremely long number at the end, maybe 40 or better? The only thing I found that may be it is a probe.

1 - Its not a file, but a parameter in a configfile. GPSDRive 2.09 starts to lag behind, when you get a lot of AP's in the Mysql DB, since the way its mysql support was coded is a bit stupid.

In your users home directory there's a hidden gpsdrive directory, which contains the gpsdrive config file. This file is named ".gpsdriverc", and contains a param called "dbwherestring".
By editing this parameter, and using the Kismet generated gpsdrive waypoint file for display, instead of the MySQL support, you'll get the best of two worlds : a display of the AP's found during your current drive, as well as logging and updating of new and previous found AP's in the MySQL DB with the added benefit of only hearing GPSDrive reading out and keeping a tally of the new detections for this run.

So edit the "~/.gpsdrive/.gpsdriverc" file, and change the param to "dbwherestring = WHERE ( name = 'xxxx' )". The xxxx can be any name of an AP, I'm using my own SSID.

What this does is ensuring that the SQL query GPSDrive uses only pulls one AP, the AP with that name, out from the MySQL DB, and into the temporary text file it reads the waypoints to display from. By default gpsdrive will query for ALL the AP's in the DB even if you haven't set it to display the MySQL POI's. Having 10K+ records being pulled into a textfile and then read to be displayed on the map, takes time.

Then when using Kismet and Gpsdrive together, don't enable the SQL support on the map display, i.e. remove the checkmark from the SQL box on the map. Gpsdrive will still log any AP's that Kismet reports into the DB, but just don't display it from the MySQL DB. If you enable the Show Waypoints in the map display, and in the configurationmenu tab for waypoints, select the gpsdrive compatible file generated by Kismet ("way_kismet.txt", remember to have it enabled in the kismet.conf file, with the "waypoints", "waypointsdata", and "waypoints_essid" statements), you've got the best of the two worlds IMHO.

2 - The question is whether it is GPSDrive or kismet_client that reads up the long numbers. I think you were running kismet_client at the same time, so both kismet_client and GPSDrive announces the AP with the texttospeech engine.

In the GPSDrive I patched for you, the malformed SSID's should be read out as "Malformed SSID", while Kismet_Client will read out all the numbers.
And you are right, its from proberequest, originating from XP boxes, due to the fact that XP spills bits of memory into the probe in some cases. This used to show up as a random character stream in the SSID field which could look like this "^L^j^x^n^A" and go on forever.

Kismet since ver. 2005-08-R1 changed the SSID munging to display unprintable character in an octal presentation, and thats why you get it read out as a string of numbers in those cases. Kismet_client will allways read them out like that when using its voiceannouncement capability, while the patched GPSDrive normally don't, unless the first character is a printable character.

The only way to avoid this, is to kill all XP boxes, or hope for MS to fix their WiFi stack..

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Beard » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks Dutch;
I only had to add the SSID, everything else was already there and enabled [I think]. I'll be trying it out later.
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby Poki » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:47 pm

I hate to ask but could one of you guys post a screenshot of GPSDrive with your wireless nodes on there? I'd like to see how it looks with labels in a dense area. My notebook is too slow to run GPSDrive (P1 200MHz stutters like mad doing nothing) or i would have it going myself. ;)
Poki

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:12 pm

[quote="Poki"]I hate to ask but could one of you guys post a screenshot of GPSDrive with your wireless nodes on there? I'd like to see how it looks with labels in a dense area. My notebook is too slow to run GPSDrive (P1 200MHz stutters like mad doing nothing) or i would have it going myself. ]
http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/212.html
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Poki » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 am

Thank you Barry, that was a nice little writeup on setup too. Sometime in the near future i'll be getting a Dell C840 w/P4-M and 1600x1200 native resolution. That'll work much better then my current 800x600 max which also cuts off GPSDrive's window somewhat.
Poki

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:58 am

Poki wrote:Thank you Barry, that was a nice little writeup on setup too. Sometime in the near future i'll be getting a Dell C840 w/P4-M and 1600x1200 native resolution. That'll work much better then my current 800x600 max which also cuts off GPSDrive's window somewhat.

I had just looked it up, so the link was still in my history. I think gspdrive needs a minimum of 1024X768. Though I think it can be compiled for a different size, it will run okayish on my zaurus.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Return to Unix/Linux