Monitor Mode

Monitor Mode

Postby kataklysm56 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Hey everyone ive been searching the net and reading forums and threads about help on how to place a card into monitor mode. i tried everything out there but nothing seems to work, i read somewhere if the linux distro boots into host ap drivers or host cs drivers that your SOL? also heard you need the senao SL not the NL card which i found and purchased a SL, but still no luck. btw the card seems to try connect to my router on startup and is in managed mode. :confused:
kataklysm56
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:37 pm

kataklysm56 wrote:Hey everyone ive been searching the net and reading forums and threads about help on how to place a card into monitor mode. i tried everything out there but nothing seems to work, i read somewhere if the linux distro boots into host ap drivers or host cs drivers that your SOL? also heard you need the senao SL not the NL card which i found and purchased a SL, but still no luck. btw the card seems to try connect to my router on startup and is in managed mode. :confused:

Did you read all the posts in the Welcome Desk? I'm sure there is something in there that might help.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm

kataklysm56 wrote:Hey everyone ive been searching the net and reading forums and threads about help on how to place a card into monitor mode. i tried everything out there but nothing seems to work, i read somewhere if the linux distro boots into host ap drivers or host cs drivers that your SOL? also heard you need the senao SL not the NL card which i found and purchased a SL, but still no luck. btw the card seems to try connect to my router on startup and is in managed mode. :confused:

Could[color="White"]A[/color]you[color="White"]s[/color]post[color="White"]s[/color]the[color="White"]h[/color]link[color="White"]o[/color]where[color="White"]l[/color]you[color="White"]e[/color]read this?
wrzwaldo

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:56 pm

iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor

Thus ends my first and last spoonfeeding.
perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'
Chris

Postby Airstreamer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:46 pm

You might try to place your card in monitor mode by using the shift key.
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Damn Chris, where you been hiding??
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby kataklysm56 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:59 am

i have tried iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor it doesnt work i get that error that operation is not supported, but if i hold down the shift key while hitting enter it might work?

You might try to place your card in monitor mode by using the shift key.
kataklysm56
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:02 am

kataklysm56 wrote:i have tried iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor it doesnt work i get that error that operation is not supported, but if i hold down the shift key while hitting enter it might work?

Did you read all the posts in the Welcome Desk? I'm sure there is something in there that will help you.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:55 am

kataklysm56 wrote:i have tried iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor it doesnt work i get that error that operation is not supported, but if i hold down the shift key while hitting enter it might work?

OK.. So what you are saying is that you don't believe what the operating system tells you, and which it has been told by the driver ? So you really really think that the operating system is lying to you ? :rolleyes:

Read up on whatever driver you are trying to use, and see if the version you are using supports RFMON. My guess is that it doesn't or you aren't logged in as user with enough permission to change the state of the driver. But hey, thats just a SWAG from a guy who tends to believe what the OS is telling in the errormessages...

BTW.. This thread goes in the bin if you don't go and read the rules and guidelines up in the Welcome Desk, especially the thread regarding proper usage of English. Not using capitalization when writing, shows that you are lazy, stupid or both. We don't bother helping lazy or stupid people here. Proceed with disregarding the rules at your own peril.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:29 am

Then you are using the wrong driver. You best start using your shift key!
wrzwaldo

Postby theprez98 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 am

The shift key does wonders. It's magic.
Attachments
keys-069.jpg
keys-069.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:28 am

theprez98 wrote:The shift key does wonders. It's magic.

Chicks dig them, it makes things bigger...
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm

You aren't going to like the answer, but you do, indeed, need to read. Your problem is that the kernel you built doesn't have support for rfmon built in.

Try googling for that info, read what you get, rebuild your kernel appropriately, cross your fingers and hope your OS reboots without kernel panic and enjoy.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:16 pm

Barry wrote:Damn Chris, where you been hiding??

I like to bury my head firmly in the sand, and then pop it out every once in a while to answer a question or two...now damn, where'd I put my plastic shovel.
Chris

Postby renderman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:58 pm

I spent approximately 12 hours yesterday finessing a freshly installed laptop with all the usual wireless tools and the patches to make them work. I did not have to go begging for spoonfed answers. The answers exist and are freely available through google.

I also have made sure to spend my money wisely on cards I know are supported and with retailers that know that the difference between an NL and SL card matters to people like us here.
renderman

Return to Unix/Linux