Need USB wi-fi card w/ext. antenna connector

Need USB wi-fi card w/ext. antenna connector

Postby caligula9999 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Can anyone recommend a USB wireless adapter card with external antenna
connector, for my rig? I'm running latest Ubuntu on a Presario F756NR.
The internal card has an Atheros chipset and, using MadWiFi drivers, I have been able to do pretty much anything I wanted except boost my gain.

So I'd like to find a good USB card for it. Will go $100 but want external antenna
port. Also, Prism or Hermes chipset support would be best.

Can anyone recommend a solution for this problem? The only way I know of to
boost gain is to couple an inductive cantenna to it and I have constructed one but
was unable to match it. Atheros won't tell me where the antenna is located, or
even the card, and I don't want to take this puppy apart just yet ....

thanks
caligula9999
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:57 pm

caligula9999 wrote:Can anyone recommend a USB wireless adapter card with external antenna
connector, for my rig? I'm running latest Ubuntu on a Presario F756NR.
The internal card has an Atheros chipset and, using MadWiFi drivers, I have been able to do pretty much anything I wanted except boost my gain.

So I'd like to find a good USB card for it. Will go $100 but want external antenna
port. Also, Prism or Hermes chipset support would be best.

Can anyone recommend a solution for this problem? The only way I know of to
boost gain is to couple an inductive cantenna to it and I have constructed one but
was unable to match it. Atheros won't tell me where the antenna is located, or
even the card, and I don't want to take this puppy apart just yet ....

thanks

First off, you posted your question in the wrong forum subsection. Second, you obviously did not use the search function of the forum or the search functions that Google has on their site.

Please read all sections in the Welcome Desk, Rethink your post, then try again. Thank you and have a nice day.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Thorn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Moved to the *nix subforum.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Barry » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby paintballaddict » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Damn, now thats lazy... Can't bother typing it out. Copy and paste to another forum just because he didnt get the spoonfeeding he was looking for.

GUN CONTROL: using both hands :D

Radio Shack: You've got questions? We have blank stares . . .
paintballaddict

Postby brwrdrvr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 pm

paintballaddict wrote:Damn, now thats lazy... Can't bother typing it out. Copy and paste to another forum just because he didnt get the spoonfeeding he was looking for.

Probably why there is no copy/paste on the iPhone.

/Runs from Barry :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 am

paintballaddict wrote:Damn, now thats lazy... Can't bother typing it out. Copy and paste to another forum just because he didnt get the spoonfeeding he was looking for.

I figured the answer he got over there was a good one. Didn't see the point of registering here just to ask the same question. Especially since the question was more relevant over there than here. :rolleyes:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby paintballaddict » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Barry wrote:I figured the answer he got over there was a good one. Didn't see the point of registering here just to ask the same question. Especially since the question was more relevant over there than here. :rolleyes:

Oh but the answer he got over there still required a bit of google-fu. We all know how hard it is to use google. I mean damn, you gotta be a rocket scientist to be able to use google. Pointing and clicking, damn hard work. :rolleyes:

This guy reminds me of someone I saw on HowardForums. Some jackass wants to get out of his contract with Verizon Wireless. So he goes asking if he puts his phone in airplane mode if Verizon can still "ping" the phone. Basicly he wants to be outside when he's talking to verizon and have the phone just turned on, then when he goes inside his house he wants to put it in airplane mode so they can't ping the phone to see if its on the network... Well he didn't get much help there, everyone told him to just pay the ETF and deal with it if he really wants out of it. So he goes and puts up the same exact post on cellphoneforums.net.... He didn't get very far there either :rolleyes:

GUN CONTROL: using both hands :D

Radio Shack: You've got questions? We have blank stares . . .
paintballaddict

Return to Unix/Linux