problem connecting to Linksys WCG200v2-CC with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper

problem connecting to Linksys WCG200v2-CC with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper

Postby whitewall » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:56 pm

I run Gentoo Linux, and I am trying to connect by wireless to a linksys wcg200v2-cc router/modem (supplied by comcast).

I use wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper. I can connect fine to the router via ethernet cable and I can use my wpa_supplicant/ndiswrapper wireless to connect to other AP:s (at my university, both WPA and open)

I use wep encryption on the router. Other people (in the apartment, using windows) can connect via wireless.

According to wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant authenticates and connects. What then happens is that dhcpcd waits for dhcp response, but times out. It only takes the router a couple of seconds to assign an IP adress via ethernet cable.

wpa_cli output:

<2>Trying to associate with SSID 'our network'
<2>Associated with /cut/
<2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to /cut/ completed (auth) [id=1 id_str=]
status verbose
bssid=/cut/
ssid=our network
id=1
pairwise_cipher=WEP-104
group_cipher=WEP-104
key_mgmt=NONE
wpa_state=COMPLETED

excerpts of wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1

# WEP
network={
ssid="our network"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key1=/cut/

wep_tx_keyidx=0
priority=2
}

How should I proceed / what is wrong? Thankful for any help - (Comcast "does not support linux")
whitewall
Mini Stumbler

Postby theprez98 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:56 am

whitewall wrote:I run Gentoo Linux, and I am trying to connect by wireless to a linksys wcg200v2-cc router/modem (supplied by comcast).

I use wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper. I can connect fine to the router via ethernet cable and I can use my wpa_supplicant/ndiswrapper wireless to connect to other AP:s (at my university, both WPA and open)

I use wep encryption on the router. Other people (in the apartment, using windows) can connect via wireless.

According to wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant authenticates and connects. What then happens is that dhcpcd waits for dhcp response, but times out. It only takes the router a couple of seconds to assign an IP adress via ethernet cable.

wpa_cli output:

<2>Trying to associate with SSID 'our network'
<2>Associated with /cut/
<2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to /cut/ completed (auth) [id=1 id_str=]
status verbose
bssid=/cut/
ssid=our network
id=1
pairwise_cipher=WEP-104
group_cipher=WEP-104
key_mgmt=NONE
wpa_state=COMPLETED

excerpts of wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1

# WEP
network={
ssid="our network"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key1=/cut/

wep_tx_keyidx=0
priority=2
}

How should I proceed / what is wrong? Thankful for any help - (Comcast "does not support linux")

Merry Christmas! :p

Santa does not support linux
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby faithfilled » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:01 am

I was successful today. Woo-hoo!

Are you using the Gentoo initscripts? What does you /etc/conf.d/net look like (w/o the WEP keys)?

Two points of note:

1) At first, I used "-Dndiswrapper" on the command line for wpa_supplicant. But with any sw even remotely recent, "-Dwext" should be used. This will use the kernel's more generic API.

2) I set ap_scan=2 and, in my network block, scan_ssid=1 and auth_alg=OPEN. My router does not broadcast its SSID, so maybe yours is different, but it might be helpful to play with these parameters.
faithfilled
Mini Stumbler

Postby faithfilled » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:03 am

If you're paranoid, unloading and reloading the ndiswrapper module between each try might be good too.
faithfilled
Mini Stumbler

Return to Unix/Linux