Unix/Linux and Mac OS X ?

Unix/Linux and Mac OS X ?

Postby rasncain » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:29 pm

I have to know... I keep seeing that Mac OS X is unix based or something? Don't know anything about Macs, and not much about Linux or Unix. I have never had good luck, "mainly due to a lack of patience" with Linux.

Now I am starting to wonder though... if this whole Mac OS X thing is unix based, then does all the Unix/Linux based stumbling tools and what not work on it?

Just wondering where the line is between it being a Mac or a Unix/Linux machine?

I don't see much stumbling stuff for Mac's, and I really don't want a Mac. I do want to get a nice Linux machine working one day and use all the great tools out there for it. If this is basically a Mac GUI on top of a Unix os then I might be kind of interested in it.

Any ideas ?
rasncain

Postby itallushrt » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:11 am

Its based off the openbsd kernel, and is basically that with a pretty little gui on top of it. So believe what your hearing.
itallushrt
Mini Stumbler

Re: Unix/Linux and Mac OS X ?

Postby captaindrewle » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:56 am

Originally posted by rasncain
I don't see much stumbling stuff for Mac's, and I really don't want a Mac. I do want to get a nice Linux machine working one day and use all the great tools out there for it. If this is basically a Mac GUI on top of a Unix os then I might be kind of interested in it.

Any ideas ?

Yeah, like itallushrt said, it is unix w/ a nice gui on top.

There are a few instances where you'll run into trouble.. The most notable instance is with Apple's airport card and the card slot in the ibooks.

The Airport driver framework is private. The maker of Macstumbler had to reverse engineer the scanning procedures just to get that to work -- forget about monitor mode.

The ibook card slot is not pcbus compliant, so you can't plug in any other pcmcia card (except the airport card) and expect it to work.

Basically, forget about using 'kismet' and 'bsdairtools' with Mac OS X.

-Cpt'n
captaindrewle

Re: Re: Unix/Linux and Mac OS X ?

Postby itallushrt » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:19 am

Originally posted by captaindrewle

The ibook card slot is not pcbus compliant, so you can't plug in any other pcmcia card (except the airport card) and expect it to work.

-Cpt'n

Thats just like a MAC. Proprietary gear is such a horrible idea IMHO.
itallushrt
Mini Stumbler

Re: Re: Unix/Linux and Mac OS X ?

Postby damage » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:23 pm

Originally posted by captaindrewle

-Cpt'n

Agreed the iBook has a proprietary slot for the airport card but the powerbook has a compliant pc card slot built in as well as the airport slot so theoretically you could use OSx with one of these.
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby korben » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:58 pm

I've developed a netstumber workalike called macstumbler. It can't do passive sniffing or wep cracking, and gps support is still in the works, but right now it's about the only thing availible for OS X.

-korben
korben
Mini Stumbler

Postby damage » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:06 am

Korben,

great job on macstumbler I've been using it for a while now and as you say it's about the only thing currently available for the mac but it rocks... looking forward to the gps support.
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby click46 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:51 am

Originally posted by itallushrt
Its based off the openbsd kernel, and is basically that with a pretty little gui on top of it. So believe what your hearing.

completely wrong ;)

OS X is based on a bastardized Mach kernel with a FreeBSD 3.x userland. But you're right on one account, its a [somewhat] powerful *nix OS with a pretty GUI on top.

I do have OpenBSD on my powerbook though ;)
click46
Mini Stumbler

Postby damage » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:34 pm

so doese that mean bsd airtools can be used or not ?
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby click46 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:42 am

Originally posted by damage
so doese that mean bsd airtools can be used or not ?

on what, OS X? I don't know because I've never tried it but if it works on Darwin then it should work on OS X. Personally I just fire up OpenBSD and use it there. OS X is only good for the GUI and MS products, if you ask me.
click46
Mini Stumbler

Postby damage » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:55 pm

Originally posted by click46

OS X is only good for the GUI and MS products, if you ask me.

Ah don't forget all of the video editing products - wich is the other reason I own Mac's
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby click46 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:24 pm

Originally posted by damage

Ah don't forget all of the video editing products - wich is the other reason I own Mac's

I'm sure if I could afford a decent camera or video equipment after purchasing this powerbook I would.
click46
Mini Stumbler

Return to Unix/Linux