WRT54G how-to guide V3

Postby renderman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

[quote="Mark57"]Again, great job. There seems to be few limits to the fun ]

Most of the work was done by others, I just pulled it all together.

Glad you like it. It seems to have accomplished it's mission of stopping the 'How do I setup a kismet drone?" questions.
renderman

Postby theprez98 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:08 pm

renderman wrote:Most of the work was done by others, I just pulled it all together.

Glad you like it. It seems to have accomplished it's mission of stopping the 'How do I setup a kismet drone?" questions.

How do I set up a kismet drone? :p
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Mark57 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:08 pm

renderman wrote:Most of the work was done by others, I just pulled it all together.

It's still a lot of work. Writing things so others can understand is no small task. I support 3,300 users at work and I know it's not easy. Mission accomplished on both fronts!
Mark57

Postby renderman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:11 pm

Mark57 wrote:It's still a lot of work. Writing things so others can understand is no small task. I support 3,300 users at work and I know it's not easy. Mission accomplished on both fronts!

I actually enjoy writing though my style is certainly not the most marketable. I'm a big fan of CopyLeft and just general sharing. I needed to do the research for myself anyways, no reason why I can't clear the path and make it easier for the next person.

At least if one of my users of the guide gets out of line, at least I can tell them to go fuck a rake. One of the freedoms of writing for free
renderman

Postby renderman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:12 pm

theprez98 wrote:How do I set up a kismet drone? :p

Go Fuck a Rake
renderman

Postby theprez98 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:14 pm

renderman wrote:Go Fuck a Rake

Just messin' with ya. I enjoy reading your tutorials and other stuff on your webpage as well. Eventually I'll do the drone (I started to once) but I have no desire to mess with my WRT at the moment. ;)
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:43 am

Why the hell did'nt I wait a couple days. I knew there was going to be a new Kismet release. Oh well.

Updated for Kismet-2005-08-R1 and for OpenWRT 'White Russian' RC2 firmware release.

No version incriment on this one.

Slightly off topic, but ahs anyone got a WRT54G modded with the SD card slot? http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/wrt54g/hack/ - This hack is giving me ideas. Interesting ideas..
renderman

Postby Dutch » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:53 am

renderman wrote:Why the hell did'nt I wait a couple days. I knew there was going to be a new Kismet release. Oh well.

Updated for Kismet-2005-08-R1 and for OpenWRT 'White Russian' RC2 firmware release.

No version incriment on this one.

Slightly off topic, but ahs anyone got a WRT54G modded with the SD card slot? http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/wrt54g/hack/ - This hack is giving me ideas. Interesting ideas..

D.I.Y. Razzin' :

<Insert own favourite "You're Canadian" jibe here>

:D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:54 am

Dutch wrote:D.I.Y. Razzin' :

<Insert own favourite "You're Canadian" jibe here>

:D

Dutch

I would but I'd have to type it slow so he'd understand it, and I just can't type that slow.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby beakmyn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:13 am

streaker69 wrote:I would but I'd have to type it slow so he'd understand it, and I just can't type that slow.

And isn't he required by law to include a French translation?
beakmyn

Postby Thorn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:09 pm

beakmyn wrote:And isn't he required by law to include a French translation?

Only in Quebec.
Seulement au Québec.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby streaker69 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:44 pm

beakmyn wrote:And isn't he required by law to include a French translation?

Je mais je devrais le dactylographier lent ainsi il le comprendrait, et je juste ne peux pas dactylographier cela lent.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby renderman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:15 am

Just a note.

If you end up bricking your router and nothing seems to work, look into using the JTAG interface.

Here's the OpenWRT link

If you have bricked a WRT54G and feel like donating it :) send it my way. I ressurected my V2 router successfully and might have some luck with others. Not like I had anything to lose.
renderman

Postby goldfndr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:31 pm

Shouldn't the "wl scan" be "wl scan -t passive"? Or does that not cure the glitch? Or is the documentation for wl somewhat misleading?

BTW,
while [ 1 ]
is a bit shorter than your while statement.
goldfndr

Postby renderman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:41 pm

goldfndr wrote:Shouldn't the "wl scan" be "wl scan -t passive"? Or does that not cure the glitch? Or is the documentation for wl somewhat misleading?

BTW,
while [ 1 ]
is a bit shorter than your while statement.

Hmm, interesting. I'll look at that too. I just wrote up the script from someones hack on the kismet forums, I'm not a developer. All I know is that it seems to work and keep the unit hopping. I've run multiple scanners simultaniously and not noticed any excessive packets, so I assume it's in passive. I'll tinker tonight with the -t passive, and see if there's any changes.

EDIT: The next command in the WL doc is the 'wl passive' command which puts the 'scan' to default to passive. My guide sets up the 'wl passive' in the drone startup script, defaulting it to passive.

The While statement might need some tinkering, feel free to make edits/suggestions. You already have my respect for the GPSD thing, any more insight you can add would benifit all.
renderman

PreviousNext

Return to Unix/Linux