WRT54G how-to guide V3

Postby dimach » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:37 am

renderman, is your WRT54G shows correct signal strength for scanned networks in Kismet ?

I'm going thru the Kismet exercise with my WRT54GS V2, and so far I can't get correct signal strength in Kismet (I'm getting all zeros ...).
However "wl scanresults" shows correct signal info. Must be some configuration issue ...

Also, in your guide you have link to the old wl package. Currently ipkg has more recent version. With the version I'm not getting any warnings on "wl scan" command and it works very well.
dimach
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:08 am

dimach wrote:renderman, is your WRT54G shows correct signal strength for scanned networks in Kismet ?

I'm going thru the Kismet exercise with my WRT54GS V2, and so far I can't get correct signal strength in Kismet (I'm getting all zeros ...).
However "wl scanresults" shows correct signal info. Must be some configuration issue ...

As it sits, the Kismet_drone will report signal strength values. It's a known problem with the WRT's and Kismet. I've talked to Dragorn about it at length. Sounds like we're kind of hamstrung by the limitations of the WL driver.

Also, in your guide you have link to the old wl package. Currently ipkg has more recent version. With the version I'm not getting any warnings on "wl scan" command and it works very well.

You try keeping those guides updated to the latest versions of everything. As it is, I'm updating them almost weekly.

I know there's a newer version of the driver. Need to get that updated, but keep you knickers on.
renderman

Postby renderman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:28 pm

Updated the how-to a little bit:

updated the WL driver download to the new version (updated my mirror)

updated the 'source' lines to include a note about some users having problems with WR RC3. Include the prism0 interface now.

updated the instructions a little bit to make it clearer that the drone will not provide SNR data to the server. It's a kismet thing, bug dragorn, not me.

No version increment this time.
renderman

Postby Barry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Hey Render, will the drone show what channel it's on or is it always dashes.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby renderman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 pm

Barry wrote:Hey Render, will the drone show what channel it's on or is it always dashes.

It's always dashes. The 'wl' driver does'nt provide SNR data in a normal way like kismet expects.

I've talked with Dragorn about it and as is his usual response to my requests; "Newcore"
renderman

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:58 am

K, thanks. I'll post up pictures once I'm done hacking. It's gonna look alot like the picture of the wrg I photochopped in the rogue access point thread. I might make a couple colinear antenna's for it. Any idea if that would be a bad idea or not, my antenna theory is kinda weak. I'm one of the try it and see if it works kinda people, but I don't want to mess up my wrt.

Okay check it out!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby cyphz0r » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:40 am

nice how-to renderman, ideally what I want to do with mine that is just sitting around is to setup kismet_server & client so I can have it doing it all on one box. you can easily add SD slots to these so you could dump the logs to that. Just have it sit in your car and always be running, when you get home pop out the SD and dump the logs onto your computer.
cyphz0r
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:08 pm

cyphz0r wrote:nice how-to renderman, ideally what I want to do with mine that is just sitting around is to setup kismet_server & client so I can have it doing it all on one box. you can easily add SD slots to these so you could dump the logs to that. Just have it sit in your car and always be running, when you get home pop out the SD and dump the logs onto your computer.

That's what I was thinking of doing since the Version 4 has two serial ports built in :). I think that's what I'll spend my $100.00 on.
http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/wrt54g/hack/
beakmyn

Postby cyphz0r » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:40 pm

beakmyn wrote:That's what I was thinking of doing since the Version 4 has two serial ports built in :). I think that's what I'll spend my $100.00 on.
http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/wrt54g/hack/

yeap i'll be doing the dual serial port mod & sd slot.

then hopefully i can figure out a way to have the client running all the time also
cyphz0r
Mini Stumbler

Howto: Rube Goldberg a perfectly good Kismet drone

Postby beakmyn » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:10 pm

This oughta make the wardrive more fun. Of course the idea behind this is that the dlink and wrt54g always stay in the trunk and the ipaq moves. I suppose I could just run a piece of Cat5 from the trunk be what fun would that be.
beakmyn

Postby renderman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:13 pm

Nice, very nice. I've been dreaming about a setup like this for about 3 years. Glad it's actually starting to become fiesable.
renderman

Postby renderman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:53 pm

New version of OpenWRT is out.

Whiterussian RC4 is out I see (http://openwrt.org/?p=22) and I guess I need to start updating my guides and verfying that everything still plays nice.

Anyone with routers that want to try it out, please do and let me know of any gotcha's, particularly for the GS units and if anyone has gotten ahold of a new WRT54GL unit.
renderman

Postby beakmyn » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:02 pm

renderman wrote:New version of OpenWRT is out.

Whiterussian RC4 is out I see (http://openwrt.org/?p=22) and I guess I need to start updating my guides and verfying that everything still plays nice.

Anyone with routers that want to try it out, please do and let me know of any gotcha's, particularly for the GS units and if anyone has gotten ahold of a new WRT54GL unit.

Figures less then 8 hours after I put rc3 on mine they release rc4! Does this mean have to reload kismet too?
beakmyn

Postby renderman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:16 pm

beakmyn wrote:Figures less then 8 hours after I put rc3 on mine they release rc4! Does this mean have to reload kismet too?

Dunno, have'nt tried it yet. I'm at work and don't have the remote control nessecary to do a tftp load from here :)

It should be pretty painless and the drone should be the same.
renderman

Postby SignalSeeker » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:13 pm

beakmyn wrote:This oughta make the wardrive more fun. Of course the idea behind this is that the dlink and wrt54g always stay in the trunk and the ipaq moves. I suppose I could just run a piece of Cat5 from the trunk be what fun would that be.

Is this kind of what you are thinking? I am trying to get Kismet running on it, then wireless to the laptop once it works.

http://www.signalseekers.net/WrtWapSmall.jpg

Justin
SignalSeeker

PreviousNext

Return to Unix/Linux