Page 12 of 12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:24 pm
by Barry
paintballaddict wrote:I wasnt aware there was a version for video cards.. I'll look around for it



Yea, most modern video cards can push math waaay better than a cpu.

Well crap. Looks like it's for folding at home and only on the newer nvidia cards. My bad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:43 pm
by beakmyn
Barry wrote:Yea, most modern video cards can push math waaay better than a cpu.

Well crap. Looks like it's for folding at home and only on the newer nvidia cards. My bad.


That's why they built a beowulf cluster out of Xbox's? Or some other high end gaming machine where they used the graphics processor and the gov't was jealous (kinda).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:11 pm
by Barry
beakmyn wrote:That's why they built a beowulf cluster out of Xbox's? Or some other high end gaming machine where they used the graphics processor and the gov't was jealous (kinda).



I think that was ps2's. There was an export ban on them for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:33 pm
by rogerRabbit
Barry wrote:I think that was ps2's. There was an export ban on them for a while.


When the PS2 was launched in April 2000 the Japanese government classified it as a military weapon . . . in December 2000 the US Defence Intelligence Agency claimed that Iraq had imported 4,000 PS2s to control all of its nuclear-tipped missiles . . . the rest is history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:31 am
by beakmyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:41 am
by rogerRabbit


Shouldn't someone tell the NCSA that Sony includes a rootkit with most of its products?

All your supercomputers are belong to us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:41 am
by Barry



I like this cluster better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:45 am
by beakmyn
Barry wrote:I like this cluster better.


Too bad it's no longer working, at least last time I checked and tried to get some cross-compile time.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:50 pm
by brwrdrvr
I know. Throw your rotten fruit at me for bringing this thread back up. I just thought it needed some attention. We can do so well on the Wigle Site, but our Seti group is failing miserably. We are placed at 3008th with only a handful of us donating processor time. So I thought i would revive this thread and maybe generate some more interest in our Seti Team.

Netstumbler.org SETI CPU Donation

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm
by Barry
brwrdrvr wrote:I know. Throw your rotten fruit at me for bringing this thread back up. I just thought it needed some attention. We can do so well on the Wigle Site, but our Seti group is failing miserably. We are placed at 3008th with only a handful of us donating processor time. So I thought i would revive this thread and maybe generate some more interest in our Seti Team.

Netstumbler.org SETI CPU Donation


I've been playing around with the new bionic app on my file server. I need to cut it back though. It pegs both processors at 100%. Who the hell is Ben any way?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 pm
by brwrdrvr
Barry wrote:I've been playing around with the new bionic app on my file server. I need to cut it back though. It pegs both processors at 100%. Who the hell is Ben any way?


Yea I cut it back and only allow it to run when the computer has been idle for 10 minutes. It was really easy to install and set up on the Ubuntu desktop. No screen saver that I can find and doesn't have an icon or anything indicating it's running. It just runs nicely.

As far as Ben I have no idea. Might be a lurker and started the team on the Berkley servers. Looking at the first posts in this thread, it might be King_Ice_Flash.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:36 am
by theprez98
I ran seti@home for a while but starting having problems with my cpu, that quit when I quit running it.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:47 am
by ccie4526
Most all my boxen with CPU ticks to spare are running OpenBSD. Haven't been able to get the stuff to run there yet, although haven't tried lately.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:18 pm
by wrzwaldo
I have shut my Seti farm down. I'll toss a couple processors back into it.