What is this tiny connector inside my card?

What is this tiny connector inside my card?

Postby The Others » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:51 am

Q: I opened up my card and found a tiny connector soldered to the board. What is it?

A: Chances are it's a Hirose MS-156. Also known as a U.fl/Hirose. These are commonly found on wifi cards, on both PCMCIA and mini-PCI varieties. They are also employed elsewhere, and are popular on bluetooth cards. The connectors measure 2.7 x 2.7 mm: They project 1.7 mm above the PCB. No cards featuring this connector are supported by netstumbler.

http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e35801678.pdf

Pigtails are available from a number of sources. Suppliers can be found by searching the forum. These pigtails come with a warning, however: These connectors are designed for testing purposes, not long term use. Hirose connectors are designed for a maximum of 100 insertions. Therefore, regular use will lead to the quick end of your pigtail and possably the card. Don't expect pigtails to be cheap: Like all microwave cables prices are high because of the work involved in producing them. Extra cost may be experianced with Hirose connectors becuase of their relative rareity.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Return to WiFi