Help with incorrect Memorized network key

Postby beakmyn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:21 am

You could try deleting that particular Access point from you profile list. I don't use Windows so you have to look that up.

Verify with the Condo association that the password hasn't changed.

You could also see if your card has it's own Wireless manager, most do, and use that instead as you've found there can be issues with WZC.

The eight black dots means something is there, which leads me to think that perhaps the key has changed. Nir Sofer makes an application that will show your wireless key from the registry. Finding it from Google using the above information should be trivial.

The quality of answer is directly related to the amount and quality of information you provide. Including but not limited to everything you've done so far and what you've tried. This forum will not spoonfeed you an answer, but if you can so that you've put in the effort then you will get help.
beakmyn

Postby Scruge » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:48 am

EvEmer wrote:You gentlemen are way over experienced and too well experienced to appreciate the frustrations of a full fledged novice. I respect you and solicit your indulgence. The last time I understood all of the hardware/software in a computer was in 1953 at Project Whirlwind, MIT Digital Computer Lab (check it out at the Smithsonian). Since then I’ve gotten real old, a lot dumber, and the computer world has expanded a number of million times. Enough blabbering personal history.

I use a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows XP, Professional. To make use of a local hub provided by the manager of the condos where we live I click on:
Start>connect to>wireless internet connections

and a screen comes up showing the wifi networks within range. The manager’s hub is identified as a “Security-enabled wireless network (with a strong 5-bar signal)”. The screen advises: “To connect to this network, click Connect. You might need to enter additional information.” Upon clicking, the next screen wants a “Network Key”, but my imbedded software (probably written by someone at Microsoft, but who knows) has inserted from some mysterious memory location a key shown as eight black dots. I have used the hub successfully in the past, and I know the 10-digit key it needs. I clear the automatically provided key and enter the correct key in the blank and in the confirmation blank. It doesn’t work.

The connection used to function fully automatically and very well until one day I clicked on the Earthlink webmail page to have my computer remember my Earthlink password (responding to the helpful[?] inquiry “Do you want this computer to remember this password?”), which coincidentally is 8-digits long. I suspect, but am not ready to assert, that this password has gotten into the memory location accessed by the wifi connection software as the Network Key.

If you gentlemen have any clue as to the machinations of this software, and any clue out of the morass, I will be forever grateful. If not, I will delete my registry from your otherwise valuable forum and leave you in peace.
Best regards,
EvEmer

I assume you are using WEP encryption verses WPA?

You mention a 10 digit key. Is it 128 bit ascii or 64 bit hex?

By default windows places ***** in the key fields regardless of the existance of a viable key.

Sounds to me more like an operator error. You aren't entering the key correctly.
Scruge

Postby streaker69 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:49 am

EvEmer wrote:You gentlemen are way over experienced and too well experienced to appreciate the frustrations of a full fledged novice. I respect you and solicit your indulgence. The last time I understood all of the hardware/software in a computer was in 1953 at Project Whirlwind, MIT Digital Computer Lab (check it out at the Smithsonian). Since then I’ve gotten real old, a lot dumber, and the computer world has expanded a number of million times. Enough blabbering personal history.

I use a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows XP, Professional. To make use of a local hub provided by the manager of the condos where we live I click on:
Start>connect to>wireless internet connections

and a screen comes up showing the wifi networks within range. The manager’s hub is identified as a “Security-enabled wireless network (with a strong 5-bar signal)”. The screen advises: “To connect to this network, click Connect. You might need to enter additional information.” Upon clicking, the next screen wants a “Network Key”, but my imbedded software (probably written by someone at Microsoft, but who knows) has inserted from some mysterious memory location a key shown as eight black dots. I have used the hub successfully in the past, and I know the 10-digit key it needs. I clear the automatically provided key and enter the correct key in the blank and in the confirmation blank. It doesn’t work.

The connection used to function fully automatically and very well until one day I clicked on the Earthlink webmail page to have my computer remember my Earthlink password (responding to the helpful[?] inquiry “Do you want this computer to remember this password?”), which coincidentally is 8-digits long. I suspect, but am not ready to assert, that this password has gotten into the memory location accessed by the wifi connection software as the Network Key.

If you gentlemen have any clue as to the machinations of this software, and any clue out of the morass, I will be forever grateful. If not, I will delete my registry from your otherwise valuable forum and leave you in peace.
Best regards,
EvEmer

Ask the manager of the network what the key is.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:19 am

As for the 8 asterisks shown in the WZC password configuration screen, they mean zilch. They are just shown to mask the contents and length of any previous entered password.

If your key is comprised of 10 characters made up of the letters A to F and the digits 0 to 9, then WZC will assume it is a 64bit Hexadecimal WEP key. If your condo utilizes WPA, you need to specify to WZC that it is a WPA key and not a WEP key.

The included online help in Windows XP will show you how to proper configure WZC. Microsoft didn't include it just for fun, you know.. And if you're going to ask how to access the Windows Online Help, you really should contact the Smithsonian, and ask if you may use their old relics, since modern user interface technology seem to have developed to a point above your comprehension.
We are several here, who have been involved with IT since the time of radio tubes, punch cards and core memory. Heck, Thorn has been around since before the time of the alphabet, and was involved in writing the instructions for the first Abacus... All of us know from that time that you need to RTFM, in order to operate the equipment. That hasn't changed today. It has just gotten easier to access that information.

Since you haven't told us if the network access points utilizes WEP or WPA, my guess is that you don't know. In that case, follow Streaker69's excellent advice and contact the Condo network administrator for help. Afterall, they are providing the service, so they have to provide the support for it.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby EvEmer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:45 am

beakmyn wrote:You could try deleting that particular Access point from you profile list. I don't use Windows so you have to look that up.

Verify with the Condo association that the password hasn't changed.

You could also see if your card has it's own Wireless manager, most do, and use that instead as you've found there can be issues with WZC.

The eight black dots means something is there, which leads me to think that perhaps the key has changed. Nir Sofer makes an application that will show your wireless key from the registry. Finding it from Google using the above information should be trivial.

The quality of answer is directly related to the amount and quality of information you provide. Including but not limited to everything you've done so far and what you've tried. This forum will not spoonfeed you an answer, but if you can so that you've put in the effort then you will get help.

Hi Beakmyn,
I have tried deleting this access point (and all others) from the profile list. This worked with a similar past problem, i.e., after taking a trip this fall and using public wifi service, when I got home the software, no matter what I clicked or entered, would disregard entries and only persistently keep trying to connect to the last hub I used somewhere in Oregon (I am in Mammoth Lakes, CA). It would only advise me that the hub was not available.
The network key I use is written under the bottom of the transmitter which is in the condo manager’s unit. Today the key works for guests]I assume you are using WEP encryption verses WPA?

You mention a 10 digit key. Is it 128 bit ascii or 64 bit hex?

By default windows places ***** in the key fields regardless of the existance of a viable key.

Sounds to me more like an operator error. You aren't entering the key correctly.[/QUOTE]

Hi Scrudge,
Yes, it is WEP. I very carefully enter the key, and truly believe it is entered correctly. Please see my reply to Beakmyn. Thanks for your bothering to reply.
EvEmer

streaker69 wrote:Ask the manager of the network what the key is.

Hi Streaker69,
Thanks for your replying to my problem. The network manager is inaccessible to me, but I don't think that would make any difference. Our condo complex manager has had this set up by the phone company that provides the DSL service he subscribes to. Something may be fishy about permissions (the phone company probably wants only him to use it, I should buy my own DSL). He doesn't want me to talk to the phone company. The manager let me copy the key from the base of his transmitter. Please see my responses to Beakmyn and Scrudge.
EvEmer

Dutch wrote:As for the 8 asterisks shown in the WZC password configuration screen, they mean zilch. They are just shown to mask the contents and length of any previous entered password.

If your key is comprised of 10 characters made up of the letters A to F and the digits 0 to 9, then WZC will assume it is a 64bit Hexadecimal WEP key. If your condo utilizes WPA, you need to specify to WZC that it is a WPA key and not a WEP key.

The included online help in Windows XP will show you how to proper configure WZC. Microsoft didn't include it just for fun, you know.. And if you're going to ask how to access the Windows Online Help, you really should contact the Smithsonian, and ask if you may use their old relics, since modern user interface technology seem to have developed to a point above your comprehension.
We are several here, who have been involved with IT since the time of radio tubes, punch cards and core memory. Heck, Thorn has been around since before the time of the alphabet, and was involved in writing the instructions for the first Abacus... All of us know from that time that you need to RTFM, in order to operate the equipment. That hasn't changed today. It has just gotten easier to access that information.

Since you haven't told us if the network access points utilizes WEP or WPA, my guess is that you don't know. In that case, follow Streaker69's excellent advice and contact the Condo network administrator for help. Afterall, they are providing the service, so they have to provide the support for it.

Dutch

Hi Dutch,
Thanks for your reply and your group histories. I really do respect all your (plural) knowledge and your generosity in replying to the likes of me. I will try again to penetrate the Windows XP and related on-line help(?). Unfortunately published helps (there are a few sites) omit troubleshots for weird problems that the authors never met or thought of.
My career parted from tubes, memory tubes, punched paper tape, cards, cores, diodes, magnetic drums, magnetic tape, transistors the size of a dime with three wires coming out of them, magneto-strictive delay lines, boolean algebra, digital differential analyzers, etc. to fuss with satellite orbit determination and satellite management ground systems. I sort of lost the thread of computer work beyond computation, sensor interfaces, and data base development. Networks are a mystery to me. You guys on the network technical high ground don’t feel the rocky surface we scrapers along contend with. Please see my responses to Beakmyn and Scrudge and Streaker69.
Thanks again,
EvEmer
EvEmer
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:54 am

If Nir's application shows the key as being correct then something else is wrong, obviously. Otherwise if the key is wrong you can delete it from the registry.
beakmyn

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:46 am

EvEmer wrote:Hi Streaker69,
Thanks for your replying to my problem. The network manager is inaccessible to me, but I don't think that would make any difference. Our condo complex manager has had this set up by the phone company that provides the DSL service he subscribes to. Something may be fishy about permissions (the phone company probably wants only him to use it, I should buy my own DSL). He doesn't want me to talk to the phone company. The manager let me copy the key from the base of his transmitter. Please see my responses to Beakmyn and Scrudge.
EvEmer

Then you probably should not be using it. Unless you and him like staying at the graybar hotel and/or have extra cash you can just throw away.
wrzwaldo

Postby EvEmer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:36 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Then you probably should not be using it. Unless you and him like staying at the graybar hotel and/or have extra cash you can just throw away.

wrz,
You're probably right, but Catch 22 is upon us. For the time being there is a long waiting line in Mammoth Lakes, CA for DSL, and we don't have cable in our condp complex (only satellilte TV). I believe the manager is dickering with the phone company for wider use beyond his unit because he has announced that soon we will all be charged a monthly fee for this wireless higher speed internet access. One does as one can.
However, I do take your warning seriously.
EvEmer
EvEmer
Mini Stumbler

Postby fregniacciaro » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:13 am

EvEmer wrote:wrz,
You're probably right, but Catch 22 is upon us. For the time being there is a long waiting line in Mammoth Lakes, CA for DSL, and we don't have cable in our condp complex (only satellilte TV). I believe the manager is dickering with the phone company for wider use beyond his unit because he has announced that soon we will all be charged a monthly fee for this wireless higher speed internet access. One does as one can.
However, I do take your warning seriously.
EvEmer

Just curious, but who is the service provider?
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Dutch » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:33 am

fregniacciaro wrote:Just curious, but who is the service provider?

Based on the data available here, he is using Verizon.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby fregniacciaro » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:42 pm

Dutch wrote:Based on the data available here, he is using Verizon.

Dutch

Thank ya kind sir.

In that case, this may be relevant.
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Dutch » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:46 pm

fregniacciaro wrote:Thank ya kind sir.

We Moderators aim to please..

Except Audit, G8t, Thorn, and Dutch. They aim to hit the target dead center.. :D

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Dutch wrote:We Moderators aim to please..

Dutch

Yes, you're much like hookers in that manner. ;)

/runs
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:20 pm

fregniacciaro wrote:Thank ya kind sir.

In that case, this may be relevant.

It must be a Verizon dialup account because on the phone numbers I checked DSL via Verizon is not available in Mammoth Lakes, CA.
wrzwaldo

Postby fregniacciaro » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:48 pm

streaker69 wrote:/runs

...to the ATM for $25
:D

SHAMELESS PLUG!

--Dutch
fregniacciaro

PreviousNext

Return to Windows