If AP has WEP how does on capture anything but DHCPDISCOVER ??

If AP has WEP how does on capture anything but DHCPDISCOVER ??

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm told Ethereal cannot capture from wireless cards using promiscious mode. If thisis the case how can one capture packets from a WEP enabled AP??

Sorry if I'm a bit thick?
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:09 pm

turnbui wrote:Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm told Ethereal cannot capture from wireless cards using promiscious mode. If thisis the case how can one capture packets from a WEP enabled AP??

http://www.google.com/search?q=capture+packets+from+a+WEP+enabled+AP

Also note that wireless cards do not do "promiscious mode", they use RF-Monitor.
wrzwaldo

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm

turnbui wrote:Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm told Ethereal cannot capture from wireless cards using promiscious mode. If thisis the case how can one capture packets from a WEP enabled AP??

Sure take your pick:

A. 9mm
B. Hanging
C. Cyanide

As for the rest of your post, ever consider searching?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:24 pm

Actually I did a lot of Googling. I found out about airodump but nothing on using ethereal to capture the packets to be saved as a pcap file for passing into WEPCRACK.

wrzwaldo: thanks for the link I'll have a look. Nice one.
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:28 pm

turnbui wrote:Actually I did a lot of Googling. I found out about airodump but nothing on using ethereal to capture the packets to be saved as a pcap file for passing into WEPCRACK.

wrzwaldo: thanks for the link I'll have a look. Nice one.

Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm told Ethereal cannot capture from wireless cards using promiscious mode. If thisis the case how can one capture packets from a WEP enabled AP??

google.com/search?q=capture+packets+from+a+WEP+enabled+AP

What kind of AP are you cracking?
wrzwaldo

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Not sure what you mean by what type. Its my own Netgear router. An exercise to see just how easy it is.
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:31 pm

turnbui wrote:Not sure what you mean by what type. Its my own Netgear router. An exercise to see just how easy it is.

Are you working in windows or *nix? If windows, now might be a good time to grab a Linux live distro and kick it up a notch!

P.S. I heard your router was easy. :eek:
wrzwaldo

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Yes, I'm working in Mandriva 2006. The router wasn't a problem but the Netgear USB adpater was. I eventually got a Belkin F5D7051 working but I can't seem to put it into monitor as opposed to Managed. I believe mode monitor is required to capture traffic from a WEP enabled AP ??

I understand that Windows can't give pcap the IV packets ???
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm

turnbui wrote:Yes, I'm working in Mandriva 2006. The router wasn't a problem but the Netgear USB adpater was. I eventually got a Belkin F5D7051 working but I can't seem to put it into monitor as opposed to Managed. I believe mode monitor is required to capture traffic from a WEP enabled AP ??

I understand that Windows can't give pcap the IV packets ???

If you are using Mandriva then why post in the windows forum?

Ever consider trying BackTrack? http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/BackTrack
wrzwaldo

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 pm

Well actually I'm using both XP and Mandriva.
But good point. I'll move over.
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:00 pm

turnbui wrote:Well actually I'm using both XP and Mandriva.
But good point. I'll move over.

I'd just ask a mod to move the thread.
wrzwaldo

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Nice one - thanks for the help. I have posted another thread in the Linux/Unix asking for a recommendation for a USB / PCMCIA that IS supported natively in Linux and that can be put in monitor mode for airodump. Do you have any comments you can add?
Cheers.
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 pm

turnbui wrote:Nice one - thanks for the help. I have posted another thread in the Linux/Unix asking for a recommendation for a USB / PCMCIA that IS supported natively in Linux and that can be put in monitor mode for airodump. Do you have any comments you can add?
Cheers.

Generally what you will be told around here is to read the documentation for the application you want to use and select your hardware based on that.
wrzwaldo

Postby turnbui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:30 pm

And rightly so. Trouble is people don't realize the amount of searching and reading already done and the need for a quick answer to save tons more reading and searching is helpful once in a while. Sometimes I wish people could read minds.
turnbui
Mini Stumbler

Postby fregniacciaro » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 pm

turnbui wrote: Sometimes I wish people could read minds.

Streaker69 can. I can feel him crawling over my thoughts as I type this.
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Next

Return to Windows