NS: Help to a member, Use of GPS and software

NS: Help to a member, Use of GPS and software

Postby bitwire » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 am

Hello all,

I have done some browsing, and I see that many people are using GPSGate to link their BlueTooth GPS to thier Laptops (Or PC's in general...).

My current setup (Not all the parts have come in...):

LapTop:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665090057
Wireless USB Adapter:
http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/pd_orinoco_80211bg.cfm
GPS + BT Adapter:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BT-5&cpc=SCH

My current question is "what is the best software to map with?"

I currently have MS S&T 2007, but this does not offer live tracking. Does anyone have any recomendations for a software that uses live tracking and can be used with NS to map points? I am looking at a way to create maps of my town and where the individual WiFi points are.

I am asking anyone who has had experience with what I am doing, such as mapping points on a map, and perhaps sending them over to wiggle (That I can handle myself...). Is there a way to automate the processs of mapping the stumble points, such as while it is stumbling, could it also keep track of where the points were, and allow me to save it?

All I need is the software name, and I will look into making a purchase. I have looked at the scripts provided here also, yet I am interested in seeing what software everyone is using.

Bonus: How well does NetStumbler work with Virtual PC 2007? What if I use a windows instalation, and run Linux through VPC 2007? Anyone tried it? I cant yet, as My wireless adapter has not come in...

Just asking, and thanks for any help in advance,
Robert 'BitWire' Powell
bitwire
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:29 am

You really don't need to do live mapping. MS S&T will import properly formatted data and create maps for you.

I believe Scruge has written a piece of software that works with Google Earth as well. I believe it's called KNSGEM, search for that.

The only product for Windows that will do live mapping is MS Mappoint, which is rather expensive.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Veritas0Aequita » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 am

When I use NetStumbler I use a program similar to GPSGate called Xport to replicate my bluetooth GPS serial port. The majority of the time I use Mappoint 2006 and Earth Bridge for Google Earth. When using Kismet I use a palm pilot using Mapopolis or TomTom for navigation.
Veritas0Aequita
Mini Stumbler

Postby bitwire » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:51 pm

Hello again,

Are there any tutorials on how to do this? I dont want this information handed to me, perhaps a link?

Thanks,
Rob
bitwire
Mini Stumbler

Postby fregniacciaro » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:46 pm

bitwire wrote:Hello again,

Are there any tutorials on how to do this? I dont want this information handed to me, perhaps a link?

Thanks,
Rob

Goto Community>Scripts & look there. You may need to change the date range to see older posts.

Or, in S&T, you can import a text-delineated file. Just have S&T ignore the columns you don't want to import. The program's help file will show you this.
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby goldfndr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:00 am

streaker69 wrote:The only product for Windows that will do live mapping is MS Mappoint, which is rather expensive.

Wrong! As [post=187472]stated previously[/post], Roadnav can also be used for [post=184798]live mapping[/post]. So far, no bugs have been [thread=12512]reported[/thread] on Roadnav support.
For quickest response, catch me on IRC: #wigle
goldfndr

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:04 am

goldfndr wrote:Wrong! As [post=187472]stated previously[/post], Roadnav can also be used for [post=184798]live mapping[/post]. So far, no bugs have been [thread=12512]reported[/thread] on Roadnav support.

Oops, I forgot about RoadNav. I guess that uses up my one mistake for this year.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Return to Windows