Roaming problem: what can we do?

Roaming problem: what can we do?

Postby rexmedorum » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:04 am

we have a roaming problem, closely related to the topic "Dream-team connection manager"
We have a ap for every floor in the building. However some people on the 3rd floor keep connecting to the 2nd floor ap. They experiance a very slow connection, which keeps dropping. Occasionally the laptops do connect to the 3rd floor ap with excelent signal strength but then the drop back to the 2nd floor ones.
Any suggestions what we could do?
(I actually do understand that it would be a violation of the standard if we forced the laptops onto one specific AP, and it would be undesired for the laptops in any case)
rexmedorum
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:13 am

rexmedorum wrote:we have a roaming problem, closely related to the topic "Dream-team connection manager"
We have a ap for every floor in the building. However some people on the 3rd floor keep connecting to the 2nd floor ap. They experience a very slow connection, which keeps dropping. Occasionally the laptops do connect to the 3rd floor ap with excellent signal strength but then the drop back to the 2nd floor ones.
(I actually do understand that it would be a violation of the standard if we forced the laptops onto one specific AP, and it would be undesired for the laptops in any case)

Enable MAC filtering on your AP's. Devices that should only connect to the second floor, put them in the MAC Filter for that floor, and the same goes for the Third floor.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:23 am

rexmedorum wrote:we have a roaming problem, closely related to the topic "Dream-team connection manager"
We have a ap for every floor in the building. However some people on the 3rd floor keep connecting to the 2nd floor ap. They experiance a very slow connection, which keeps dropping. Occasionally the laptops do connect to the 3rd floor ap with excelent signal strength but then the drop back to the 2nd floor ones.

Sounds like there may be an issue with the 3rd floor AP.

1. Are they all the same brand/model AP?

2. Are they all running the same firmware?

I have seen 1 installation with mixed vendor AP's that did exactly what you are describing.
wrzwaldo

Postby audit » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:38 am

How about some more information on the AP's? Have you done a survey and if so, what type of signal are you getting off each one on each floor? You should be able to adjust the signal to help eliminate this from happening.
audit

Postby theprez98 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:41 pm

audit wrote:How about some more information on the AP's? Have you done a survey and if so, what type of signal are you getting off each one on each floor? You should be able to adjust the signal to help eliminate this from happening.

They come here first expecting us to do it for them :p
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby rexmedorum » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 am

theprez98 wrote:They come here first expecting us to do it for them :p

Of course I have It its'the way I'd expect it to be.
When I'm on the 3rd floor the one of the 3rd floor is excelent with a stroong signal, the one on the 2nd with a very week signal and the one on the 1st floor I usually can't see (sometimes it pops up though)
They are all same brand & model. Not sure about firmware though
rexmedorum
Mini Stumbler

Postby Airstreamer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am

rexmedorum wrote:Of course I have It its'the way I'd expect it to be.
When I'm on the 3rd floor the one of the 3rd floor is excelent with a stroong signal, the one on the 2nd with a very week signal and the one on the 1st floor I usually can't see (sometimes it pops up though)

And that would be???
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby streaker69 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 am

Double check firmware versions on all the AP's.

Also, what channels are all the AP's on?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 am

You do realise that the quality of help you can get is proportional to the quality of information you provide ?

And you DID read the Welcome Desk section, before you posted, right ? Especially the thread regarding "Problems with your hardware" ?

Otherwise go do it now.. And read ALL the threads in the Welcome Desk section, while you are there.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:23 am

We don't go on to long here with tooth pulling sessions.

What brand/model are the AP's? And verify the #&^@%&# firmware...
wrzwaldo

Return to Windows