Security analyzer for windows?

Security analyzer for windows?

Postby casemods » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:03 pm

We just had a guy from comcast set up our routers security, and I was wondering if he actually did anything....

Is there a program for windows that doesn't take years of programming experience, and that will tell us if our wifi is safe?
casemods
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Security analyzer? That sounds fancy.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Dutch » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:15 pm

casemods wrote:We just had a guy from comcast set up our routers security, and I was wondering if he actually did anything....

Is there a program for windows that doesn't take years of programming experience, and that will tell us if our wifi is safe?

Actually, if you pick up the phone and call comcast, they will be quite pleased to get the technician to call you, and explain what he did.
Of course, you could also pay notice to what the connection manager you are using, whether its Windows own WZC or the one supplied with your card tells you, when you connect.

But my guess is the first option would be the best one. Even if it probably has to be repeated a couple of times, since I expect the technician allready have told you what he did, and wouldn't have minded if you asked him questions.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby fregniacciaro » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 am

casemods wrote:We just had a guy from comcast set up our routers security, and I was wondering if he actually did anything....

Is this the guy who did your setup?
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Starpoint » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:31 am

Comcast started looking for their broadband users that put wifi routers on their net connection and not securing it, thus sharing it (agains the AUP/TOS) to anyone. They were in fact wardriving, except they had to do something that was illegal when they found an open signal. They had to attach, get an IP, and then get the real world IP reversed so they could see if it was one of theirs and then record it.

The very nature of connecting to the signal is illegal.
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby streaker69 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:54 am

Starpoint wrote:Comcast started looking for their broadband users that put wifi routers on their net connection and not securing it, thus sharing it (agains the AUP/TOS) to anyone. They were in fact wardriving, except they had to do something that was illegal when they found an open signal. They had to attach, get an IP, and then get the real world IP reversed so they could see if it was one of theirs and then record it.

The very nature of connecting to the signal is illegal.

I didn't think that was comcast that did that, I thought it was that company out in LA. I hadn't heard that Comcast was doing it as well.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:05 am

Streaker is going into paranoid Amish mode now.;)
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby casemods » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:57 am

streaker69 wrote:I didn't think that was comcast that did that, I thought it was that company out in LA. I hadn't heard that Comcast was doing it as well.

Saying comcast did it is like saying the whole company encourages that sort of thing.

Sure comcast has some assholes, but it's not the whole company that was hopping on customers routers, it was simply a couple black hat employees that used their private info on customers to their advantage (which I'm guessing was free internet access) :rolleyes:

Forgive me if it actually was comcast, as I haven't read an article on this and am assuming for thier 600kpbs downloads that I used to get :D
casemods
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:01 am

casemods wrote:Saying comcast did it is like saying the whole company encourages that sort of thing.

Sure comcast has some assholes, but it's not the whole company that was hopping on customers routers, it was simply a couple black hat employees that used their private info on customers to their advantage (which I'm guessing was free internet access) :rolleyes:

Forgive me if it actually was comcast, as I haven't read an article on this and am assuming for thier 600kpbs downloads that I used to get :D

If you don't know what you're talking about, then I guess you really shouldn't be commenting on it.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:02 am

casemods wrote:Saying comcast did it is like saying the whole company encourages that sort of thing.

You must work for Comcast.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby fregniacciaro » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:07 am

Another mbolgian?
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby brwrdrvr » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 am

HAHAH could very well be. :D
brwrdrvr

Postby d6rth7ader » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:45 am

there's Microsoft Visual Basic. You can create programs without really experience on programming.. :)
d6rth7ader
Mini Stumbler

Postby MikeP928 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:22 pm

[B wrote:d6rth7ader[/B]]there's Microsoft Visual Basic. You can create programs without really experience on programming.. :)

And mbuttlick's other brother showed up.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby beakmyn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:31 pm

d6rth7ader wrote:there's Microsoft Visual Basic. You can create programs without really experience on programming.. :)

Cool can you make me a wifi analyzer for my MacTel Linux x64?
beakmyn

Return to Windows