Security ?

Security ?

Postby infinisource » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:01 pm

Here is my setup...

Cisco 350 AP
Windows 2003 AD Domain

All wireless devices must authenticate using WEP and be authenticated against AD using P-eap.

I have setup my certificate authority on the AD Domain, DHCP is running, the clients that need wireless access are in a security group on the domain and have dial-in permission.

The authenticated clients are not the problem... my problem is someone outside of my network is trying to gain access, of course they can't so far because they need a cert., group membership, dial-in access... I have their mac address, what other kind of information can I get from this device and how would I do that?

Basically I am trying to get information on a rouge client. Does this make sense? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
infinisource
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm

AirSnare or Airsnort will both gather more information about what that particular Luser is attempting against your system.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:04 pm

A 12 gauge is usually a pretty good deterrent. Wakes up the sleepers in the cubicle next to you pretty well also.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby infinisource » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:10 pm

Danke! I will check out both utilities... and if all else fails the shotgun will have to do I suppose :)
infinisource
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 pm

Keep in mind, that during your investigation you may find it's just a machine that's just trying to connect, because someone attempted it once and it may not actualy be a real attempt.

Have you checked your logs to show that they're actually trying to authenticate agains your AD? If they've gotten that far, then they've already cracked your WEP.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby infinisource » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Yeah I've checked the IAS Logs and no attempt has been made to authenticate against AD yet.
infinisource
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:26 pm

infinisource wrote:Yeah I've checked the IAS Logs and no attempt has been made to authenticate against AD yet.

So you're just seeing attempts against the router as they attempt various WEP keys. Your SSID is not a common one right?

And you've checked the MAC against the list of MAC's that are actually allowed on your network, so that it isn't a machine that can't connect because someone erased the WEP key?

After all, a good Network Admin knows the MAC's of every single device that's allowed to be on the network.
streaker69

Postby infinisource » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Yeah it's not one of the mac's that I allow. My ssid is not the default cisco ssid, that was one of the first things I changed when the AP was setup.
infinisource
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:30 pm

infinisource wrote:Yeah it's not one of the mac's that I allow. My ssid is not the default cisco ssid, that was one of the first things I changed when the AP was setup.

Are you near any Apt. complexes or homes or anything?
streaker69

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Or is the SSID SST-PR-1

DA DA DAAAAAAAAA!
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby infinisource » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:39 pm

yeah there are several AP's that are close by, but the one mac address that is trying to connect isn't the same MAC address as the AP's that are around.
infinisource
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:40 pm

infinisource wrote:yeah there are several AP's that are close by, but the one mac address that is trying to connect isn't the same MAC address as the AP's that are around.

You're not going to detect client machines unless you're using Kismet.
streaker69

Postby beakmyn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:41 pm

infinisource wrote:yeah there are several AP's that are close by, but the one mac address that is trying to connect isn't the same MAC address as the AP's that are around.

Right but with kismet you could see if that MAC is a client on the other APs which might shed some light on who is doing it.
beakmyn

Postby streaker69 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:19 pm

King_Ice_Flash wrote:Or is the SSID SST-PR-1

DA DA DAAAAAAAAA!

Cattle Mutilations are up.
streaker69

Postby PPC1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 am

streaker69 wrote:You're not going to detect client machines unless you're using Kismet.

For us windooze-users there´s allways AirMagnet. We use AirMagnet Enterprise and Laptop Analyzer and they will detect both APs and stations (clients). We use it to detect rogue clients.
PPC1
Mini Stumbler

Return to Windows