WiFiHopper

Postby spec » Wed May 31, 2006 3:42 am

spec
Mini Stumbler

Postby Starpoint » Wed May 31, 2006 3:48 am

From a technical POV, not a bad program, but why would a wardriver need to connect to someone else's wifi? Why would you need a program that allows you to connect to both open and protected AP's that are not your own? sounds like its has a built in WEP cracker..
(looks at calendar) oh... wait.. that `splain's it
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby OrionBlade » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:48 pm

Here's what I'd like to see: A program that will list in real time all the networks i'm running into, and manage a connection to network A my 54g card, network B on a USB stick, and let me hop along the road until I hit the interstate and can download all my email and maybe stream some internet radio while I'm at it. I am totally new to this and the windows-provided applet. I don't neccesarily care about GPS since I haven't finished building my unit yet, but it might be nice to generate a few waypoints for the access points I discover.

I keep forgetting it doesn't update and automatically connect, and i'll wind up trying to connect and authenticate with a network next to my house, and I'm already a mile or two away. by the time I click refresh, I'm getting on the exit, and I realize there are other cars on the road. So far i've managed to get about 20 seconds of online time while my car was moving. rawr.

anything simple and lightweight like that? I do have ethereal and a few other apps for cracking WEP keys and the like, but when I just want to surf with the 'nets that i've already got... it'd be nice to have a low-overhead program to boot up.

Thanks - if anyone wants plans for a gps unit, I will probbably post a DIY page in about a month. Even has a color screen that was orig. used for the Nokia brick phones. woohoo! color!
OrionBlade
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:50 pm

OrionBlade wrote:Here's what I'd like to see: A program that will list in real time all the networks i'm running into, and manage a connection to network A my 54g card, network B on a USB stick, and let me hop along the road until I hit the interstate and can download all my email and maybe stream some internet radio while I'm at it. I am totally new to this and the windows-provided applet. I don't neccesarily care about GPS since I haven't finished building my unit yet, but it might be nice to generate a few waypoints for the access points I discover.

I keep forgetting it doesn't update and automatically connect, and i'll wind up trying to connect and authenticate with a network next to my house, and I'm already a mile or two away. by the time I click refresh, I'm getting on the exit, and I realize there are other cars on the road. So far i've managed to get about 20 seconds of online time while my car was moving. rawr.

anything simple and lightweight like that? I do have ethereal and a few other apps for cracking WEP keys and the like, but when I just want to surf with the 'nets that i've already got... it'd be nice to have a low-overhead program to boot up.

Thanks - if anyone wants plans for a gps unit, I will probbably post a DIY page in about a month. Even has a color screen that was orig. used for the Nokia brick phones. woohoo! color!

Since I'm busy, I'll say this quick. You're an idiot.

If you're email is that damn important to you that you feel the need to get it on the road, the pay for the service and buy yourself a Blackberry.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby OrionBlade » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 pm

didn't say what was IN the email.

and if you don't have time to reply... don't. Not like I'm lurking and drooling over my keyboard waiting for a reply.

I just want continuous access... like going between two cell towers. Doesn't sound like too much to ask.
OrionBlade
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:09 pm

OrionBlade wrote:didn't say what was IN the email.

and if you don't have time to reply... don't. Not like I'm lurking and drooling over my keyboard waiting for a reply.

I just want continuous access... like going between two cell towers. Doesn't sound like too much to ask.

So tell me something sparky, how is such a program supposed to know if it's allowed to connect to those networks that you want to stay connected to?

You also apparently have absolutely no comprehension of how Wifi Works, nor TCP/IP connections.

And what makes your email so damn important? You carrying the Nuclear football or something?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Starpoint » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 pm

OrionBlade wrote:Here's what I'd like to see: A program that will list in real time all the networks i'm running into, and manage a connection to network A my 54g card, network B on a USB stick, and let me hop along the road until I hit the interstate and can download all my email and maybe stream some internet radio while I'm at it. I am totally new to this and the windows-provided applet. I don't neccesarily care about GPS since I haven't finished building my unit yet, but it might be nice to generate a few waypoints for the access points I discover.

So you want to be a ROAMING THIEF!!!!!
Boy you best leave now before Dutch, G8te or some of the other Mods find you.

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

Starpoint

Postby renderman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Actually, it is. To do so would require you to commit a felony each time you connected to a random access point. Unless you have permission from all the random AP's you might hit, I don't think anyone who does'nt want to get sued will make what you want.

Go back to the welcome desk and read.
renderman

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:24 pm

beakmyn wrote:Granted the current release is 1.0 if you implement what's listed in the "future version" and you find a way to implement passive drivers for the 3 main chipsets then you might have a really nice product.

Yeah Broadcom rocks!:D
*Runs for cover*

Can we bin the thread now?
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby G8tK33per » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:11 pm

Starpoint wrote:So you want to be a ROAMING THIEF!!!!!

It was sounding like that to me.

@OrionBlade...I highly recommend you rethink the nature and content of future posts.

/taps bat
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Starpoint » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:29 pm

G8tK33per wrote:It was sounding like that to me.

@OrionBlade...I highly recommend you rethink the nature and content of future posts.

/taps bat

batter
batter
batter
batter
batter
batter
batter
batter
SWING!!!!!!!!
batter
batter
batter
batter
batter

Starpoint

Postby brwrdrvr » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:29 am

Then go buy an aircard and spend the 80 bucks a month. You can even put some cards into Adhock mode where everyone around you can connect and have internet access. Ex-boss of mine used to do that going on vacation so the whole family was connected and doing their own thing on the long trips.

and stop being a friggin theif.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby DivyaT » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi folks,

The 1.2 release of WiFi Hopper is now available. New features relevant to site surveying include:

• file save, merging
  • gps support
  • rssi graphing
  • network filters
  • oui-vendor mapping and lookup
other features include:
  • full connection manager
  • connecting to wpa-psk, wpa2-psk (in addition to unsecured and wep networks)

Download from: http://wifihopper.com/binaries/1.2/hopper-1.2.exe
Screenshots at: http://wifihopper.com/screenshots.html
Complete list of features: http://wifihopper.com/features.html

Despite the fact that the application is a trial version -- after the trial period expires, the features related to network discovery and site survey continue to work completely without any nag screens or other limitations.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Divya
DivyaT
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:03 pm

/Sniffs the air

Hmmm, smells like fresh meat ready for roasting.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby beakmyn » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:27 pm

It's shaping up. It's still got the "grey area" issue of the connection manager. I'll have to try out the new version before I make judgement on that but it's nice to see your comparison page
beakmyn

PreviousNext

Return to Windows